Newbie help/confirmation

Participant count
  • Participant list

michaels214

Aloha,

I just joined the forum, and just wanted to see how I did. LOL. Basically, a brand new bazooka BT6024DVC (6.5 inch passive, and dual voice model) just fell into my lap. So I thought to myself - "hey, im not really into car audio, but it seems like a fun project to get this thing hooked up". So I go onto ye olde listing of craigs (craigslist), and see a sony xplod XM-GTX6040 600 watt amp and the guy wants $50. I text him, lowball him at $35, he says $40. I say OK. I go over to wal-mart and buy a $20 12 gauge wiring kit, and some 16 gauge speaker wire from home depot. Im up to $60 and have no idea what Im doing.....

After some research and some tutorials - I get this stuff hooked up in a few hours. I turn it on, and what do you know - it works lol. I then realized that theres so much more into just slapping it altogether. I know nothing about this electrical car audio stuff - ohms, dB's, DVC's, RM's, etc...

So you now know exactly what materials I used (My car also has a sony xplod deck). Im assuming I did everything right, considering the amp turns on/off with the key (tapped into remote wire), and I can get some bass out of the bazooka. But is everything I did safe, as far as the amp/speaker/wire sizes go?? I'm not planning on cranking this thing hard - Like I said, I just wanted to do it as a cheap project, while adding a little low end to my cars stereo. But I want to be sure this setup is safe and my car wont burst into flames, or ruin the amp or bazooka.

If you want specific details as to how I hooked it up, read on. Excuse my lack of proper terminology.......There are 4 ports on the back of the bazooka - 2 positive, and 2 negative (assuming for this DUAL voice coil). I connected the amp to the 2 outside ports (one negative and one positive), and I took one piece of wire and connected the other positive and negative ports in the middle. On the amp I used the rear channel, and I did not bridge it. I turned the filter on...the one that takes away the higher frequencies, and turned the little knob thingy about halfway up. LOL.

Like I said, I dont know anything about this....Just please let me know if something is done wrong, or if you have any suggestions to make it better.

Thanks so much.

Mike

you did decent for the amount you paid, bazooka and sony (for the most part) are frowned upon manufacturers of speakers and amplifiers. They do work as you've noticed, but when it comes to real output and sound quality there's better, you'll probably end up wanting more and more in the coming months.

Can you clarify how you wired the sub? A picture would probably be the best way for us to see what you're saying, it sounds like you wired it in series but im not 100% on that.

read these:

Wiring subwoofers — what's all this about ohms?

What are the Differences Between Single and Dual Voice Coil Subwoofers? | Learning Center | Sonic Electronix

Car Stereo Glossary

like this?

1-DVC-4-ohm-2-ch-low-imp.jpg

Yes I wired it in series, and plugged into the Amp not bridged. Im trying to tune it with a dmm, but not really sure what watt/ohm values to calculate. From what I understand it should be 8 ohm when its in series, but not sure what watts to use since the Amp only gives specs on 2 and 4 ohm.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.