Newb to car audio equalizer q's

Participant count
  • Participant list

Hypnoz
10+ year member

Ok my bro said that if i get a hu that has an equalizer built in it, i don't need to buy one. Well i thought, sounds logical, but then i looked around at EQ's and they look a lot more advanced then any HU EQ i have seen.

1. What advantages are there from normal EQ's compared to HU EQ's?

2. What all can you do with EQ's ?

Thanks

1) An external equalizer will have more bands which allows for more control on your part

2) Your speaker system will have peaks and dips in the frequency response curve. An equalizer corrects for those.

cool thanks

but how would you know which freq to turn up/down? ( if you were sitting in car)

Also, will it make your system sound significantly better or just slightly?

when people talk about the sq of a subwoofer or their speakers, alot of the time they are refering to how equal the frequencies sound. i recomend just taking some cds with good amounts of everything in it (vocals, drums, bass, other instruments or w/e) and listening to numorous (sp?) songs to find out at what settings you can hear all the different sounds clearly without having certain sounds going far louder then others, and other sounds being turned up louder if you cant hear them that great. play with it and find what you like. and it will make your system sound a lot better because if you set it right, then you wont have parts of your songs far louder or quieter then the other parts of the song.

cool thanksbut how would you know which freq to turn up/down? ( if you were sitting in car)

Also, will it make your system sound significantly better or just slightly?
Pink Noise and RTA //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=390-805&DID=7

But you could do it by ear...Expect to turn it up in the lowest octaves, between 2000 and 5000 where you cross from the mid to the tweeter, and in the highest octaves

No to music, yes to pink noise...

And I've been RTA'd and flattened to +/- 3 dB and I rarely need to touch the EQ when playing CD's of different types of music. What I do adjust for is road noise which varies with speed and whether or not my top is down.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.