New to car audio, looking for recommendations.

I Listen to literally all kinds of music so I want some subs that would hit a fairly large range of notes. I am pleased with how my 15" sounds but I was thinking about a 12" because I heard they were the best size for hitting highs and lows, but if I were to get 12" subs I think I would get two because I feel my one 15" has trouble hitting multiple notes at once. I am slightly unsure about getting 12's because I like having a 15" overall, do you think a higher quality 15 could hit multiple notes better than my current one or would I have to get 2 subs?
the way your sub plays notes isn't due to it's size, it's all about your box, if you are using a pre fab box there lies your problem, most pre fabs do not have the proper airspace, port area, and are usually tuned pretty high. in regard to size, 15s can play just as fast/punchy as 10s or 12s.

Ok guy. A American bass vfl 80.1 an xfl 15 and a custom box will be one of your best band for the buck systems as far as new if you wanna spend a bit more. Obsidian 15 a saz 1500 or dc 1.2 and a custom box. If you want used. Get a used amp. Like the sundown dc. Vfl And a sub like the obsidian. Sa 15 xfl dc lvl 3 or even a fi or tantric. These mainstream brands aren't as good as you think But you'll still need proper wire size to support these amps but you'll be better off getting one of these then maybe a better battery , agm , and definately the big 3

Thanks a lot you seem to talk pretty highly about this American Bass company so I'll give the amp and sub a try. One last question though, how does one determine how much air space is optimal for a subwoofer?

Thanks a lot you seem to talk pretty highly about this American Bass company so I'll give the amp and sub a try. One last question though, how does one determine how much air space is optimal for a subwoofer?
The manufacturer usually will state the recommended airspace needed. A single 12 ported would be good in that car in my opinion and will fit the bill of your budget and listening taste. You don't want to go too big on the subs when going ported just to ensure your enclosure can be made to spec especially in a trunk car. Keep in mind, you also need to allow room for the port which is not included in the net airspace of the box.

i bet you could fool around with the gear you currently have , build or have built for you a better box, and play with placment in the trunk , and tune your system in. and be pretty pleased with the results.

buying new gear seems like the eaziest thing to do , but tuning it in is all part of the process. you have to learn yourself what works vs doesnt work.

i recomend

down loading a box building program. and searching the small specs on your current subwoofer to help you design a box to its specific requirments.

once you get messing with all this information for a bit it sinks in.

My friend is now letting me borrow his sealed 15" enclosure and I definitely prefer sealed over ported. I feel like I would rather have two 12" subs in a sealed box rather than one 15"
thats because you probably only heard subs in piece of junk ported boxes. Ported outdoes sealed in almost every way IMO. However if you go ported, it cannot be a box you buy from the internet or some local shop. You say you dont like ported, well judging from your experience its most likely because you bought a piece of **** box and its tuning is conflicting with your cabin gain of your vehicle along with poor design.

I'm not sure how the mtx 6000 sounds since i havent heard it in real life, but if its a decent sub, you can model an enclosure design so it would hit a wide range of notes loudly from 30-80hz with winISD(look for a tutorial on youtube, its a free program).

He didn't tell me that it would require me to get a new battery that was just something I was curious about. He has 4 guage wire in his car and I asked him about if I changed my power and ground to 0 guage and he said 0 guage is something you would use more for a competition grade system. So I thought it would drain your battery faster if you didn't get a new one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.