New to audio and the site....help me out

OP,

Have you listened to the Infinity speakers you're interested in? Infinity has always been a love/hate speaker; the biggest gripe people have with them are that they're somewhat bright and sound kinda nasal. Some people love that though. In addition, higher end Alpine speakers have always been somewhat mellow sounding. In loud truck with lots of wind/tire noise, I probably wouldn't recommend those as you'll have to beat the hell out of them to overcome background noise.

Speakers I'd look into would be some of the mid-line stuff from Boston Acoustics. They're very tough, sound good, and have an in your face kinda attitude about them. Perfect for overcoming loud vehicles. The higher end components are also very nice, but I think you'd be happy with

Amp wise, like a poster already mentioned, old school amps can be had for pennies on the dollar compared to their original price and they still perform well. The only drawback would be the reputation of the seller & the condition of the amp you're looking for. So you might be buying a bad amp or one that has been abused. But if you find a good one, it's well worth the $$$.

Newer amps are usually more user/install friendly. They can be stuffed in tighter places (like under seats) and have all the crossover & EQ controls the older amps didn't always have. Personally, I don't really care for all that on an amp...but it's handy if you don't have processing. The amps I'm weary of are the stuff coming out of China with big wattage figures. Korean made amps tend to be very solid though. Made in USA, European, or Japanese made amps are very-very pricey...unless you go old school.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.