New system setup. How did I do?

jragusa
10+ year member

New York
First, I'm completely new to car audio. I'm 21, just got my first own car and before this never installed a single speaker. I did a little research before purchasing everything and think I did okay (for an okay budget system).

I repeat budget system:

$76 Back speakers, Soundstream SST6.9

$90 For the front speakers and tweeters I got Infinity Reference 5030cs

2x 12" Kicker Impulse Subwoofers in what I think is a pretty nice enclosure (not sure of wattage. they were my sisters, they're a few years old. but they were free.)

Lightning Audio Amp - The Fast & The Furious - Powered by a crappy 2 channel amp - - 50w x2 RMS

• How did I do on selection of speakers as far as price to performance?
  • What do you recommend I upgrade next? I was thinking getting a better amp.
  • Should I get different subs?
  • If I didn't upgrade the subs, what amp do you recommend?

I hope I didn't say anything to make someone call me a noob or use the search bar. People are always so sensitive on forums :|

Budget I would say

I was looking at MTX Terminators on Amazon for $130 shipped. They're in the enclosure and are rated at 400 rms.

I'm looking for the best sound I can get for under $450 total. I'm not too picky and just looking for decent sound. (for reference, I think my dad's Bose 8 speaker system in his cadillac sounds pretty good, when you guys would probably say it sounds like ****)

$450

- $90

- $75

- $25 in adapters and parts

= about $250 left

• Mostly I'm concerned about the speakers right now. How did I do as far as brands/price/overall?
  • When I get a new amp I'm looking to hook up two subs and the two rear speakers. How many channels?
  • Should I go with the MTX Terminators? If yea, what amp should I get with them?

get 1 nice amp for the subs and put that other amp on your front speakers and get everything tuned well may even need some sound deadener.

go to vminnovations.com and order you stuff its a good website that has a variety of car audio with everything free shipping and also use promo code facebook for 5%off or (caraudiofan) i forget what this one does but hope you get your setup to sound the way you want and good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Would I need an extra battery in the back to power two amps?
Nope. I wouldn't be worried about a battery until you're well over 1kW.

I'd definitely get rid of those Kickers, but hey it's better than nothing (maybe)? I wouldn't be too interested in the MTX subs either. If you're looking to save money I'd look into used equipment on this forum. You can usually find MUCH better quality equipment in your price-range. Also, I'd look at the Obsidian Audio 12" subwoofer if you insist on buying new.

I have an Alpine MRP-M500 500 watt rms mono sub amp, I just replaced it with an MRP-M1000 amp, I bought it new a couple years ago from crutchfied, used it to power a single 12" IDQ, did a great job. 100 shipped if interested.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.