New System for 2002 GMC Sierra

You haven't done that many if you don't know a 2002 has the tweeters in the door panel. 2003-2006 has tweeters in the pillars on upgraded stereo versions only. OP can easily add, but it means spending another $50-$100 for a new set of pillars. I have never used them, but the comments I have read on those pillars are that people don't like them. They supposedly angle the tweeters towards the windshield and not the people. Those who actually go all out even take the tweeters out of the pillars to put them into the door panels, or make a new fiberglass pillar out of the non tweeter version then add an aftermarket mount just to angle them better. Not an "upgrade" I would do, or atleast read up on it if you are considering it.

Why is running an extra pair of rear speakers a hassle? The panels pop right off with 2 screws then pull, you replace the factory speakers that are already there, and run the wire, its a 15 minute job.

Why is your sound supposed to come only from the front?? Have you ever heard of surround sound? Are you really saying that surround sound is making it worse? If you think its only supposed to come from the front, do you think sound should only come from one side too? That's just dumb... Hell, why doesn't op, just use an earbud and be done with it???

OP, obviously its your system. IMO not adding rear speakers is that you're already doing 90% of the work, why not do the last 10% to take full advantage of it. Its not just to get the surround sound, but also to hear it when you can't hear the front.

I am leaning towards either the P600x4 or the P400x4. I do not have personal experience with amps like you all do but after reading the difference between class AB and class D amps, it seems I am more interested in the Class AB quality. Correct me if I am wrong.

Hardofwhoring, I may add rear speakers later. Who knows? If I add them now, I will need a 5 channel amp or a 4 channel and another amp to push the sub? That will add extra drain to my already old electric system on the truck therefore increasing the chance I need to replace alternator and battery. I picked up this truck because of the sentimental value and in 2 weeks I have dumped $4k on it for repairs and upgrades. It still needs to go to the body shop for $3k of work and then I have to deal with the headliner and hopefully the seats will be ok after they get cleaned. The hemorrhaging has to stop somewhere..... I don't see how waiting to possibly buy rear speakers later will change anything at all except the fact that there will be no speakers there.

Am I missing something obvious here? If I continue on with say a P600x4 and power my 2 front speakers plus 1 sub with it everything will work properly. Then, if I decide to upgrade later, all I have to do is disconnect the sub and then power my new rear 2 door speakers with the original P600x4 and then add an amp for the sub. Will that work?

You haven't done that many if you don't know a 2002 has the tweeters in the door panel. 2003-2006 has tweeters in the pillars on upgraded stereo versions only. OP can easily add, but it means spending another $50-$100 for a new set of pillars. I have never used them, but the comments I have read on those pillars are that people don't like them. They supposedly angle the tweeters towards the windshield and not the people. Those who actually go all out even take the tweeters out of the pillars to put them into the door panels, or make a new fiberglass pillar out of the non tweeter version then add an aftermarket mount just to angle them better. Not an "upgrade" I would do, or atleast read up on it if you are considering it.
Why is running an extra pair of rear speakers a hassle? The panels pop right off with 2 screws then pull, you replace the factory speakers that are already there, and run the wire, its a 15 minute job.

Why is your sound supposed to come only from the front?? Have you ever heard of surround sound? Are you really saying that surround sound is making it worse? If you think its only supposed to come from the front, do you think sound should only come from one side too? That's just dumb... Hell, why doesn't op, just use an earbud and be done with it???

OP, obviously its your system. IMO not adding rear speakers is that you're already doing 90% of the work, why not do the last 10% to take full advantage of it. Its not just to get the surround sound, but also to hear it when you can't hear the front.

Yes I am saying to add the tweeters to the A pillar. If you haven't tried it on yours, temporarily tape them on the pillars and listen. It mostly eliminates the "sound blocked by your leg" problem, also raises the sound stage so it doesn't sound like it's coming from the floor.

So are you watching movies in your truck that you need surround sound for? Also do you have a proper headunit capable of Dolby surround or similar? Probably not... so you don't actually have surround Sound. You have 4ch stereo.

Go to a concert, where they play music which is what we tend to listen to in our vehicles. Where does the sound come from? Right in front of you. I have a 4dr Acura and have no rear speakers. And in my seat you can't even tell. Countless people have told me " man it sounds like I'm front row at a concert!" "How do I make mine sound that good"

If your speakers were installed correctly you wouldn't need rear speakers when you can't hear the fronts, because you wouldn't have a problem hearing the fronts hahahaha

So you can pull both panels, deaden the rear doors, build a proper speaker baffle, run the wires to the amp, hook it all up, and put the panels back in, all in 15 minutes? I doubt it

Only to gain a glorified tweeter back there? Cause that's basically what you get with a 4" or 4x6"

Cypressjeff:

I think either the 600x4 or the 400x4 would work fine for you. Yea just run the front speakers on channels 1+2 and bridge 3+4 to the sub.

If you feel you need rear speakers you can easily hook them to the radio, or buy a mono amp and hook all speakers to the 4ch.

Well, you already have rear speakers in there, they may be blown, the factory ones are crap. You can still buy some low wattage ones and just hook those up to the factory connectors, and use the original wiring. As long as you connect the wires in the radio harness up, they will work fine. You wouldn't need to connect them to the amplifier, and if you do it that way, then it makes no difference at all when you do your install.

Yes I am saying to add the tweeters to the A pillar. If you haven't tried it on yours, temporarily tape them on the pillars and listen. It mostly eliminates the "sound blocked by your leg" problem, also raises the sound stage so it doesn't sound like it's coming from the floor.Tape them to the pillars? The angle you get is all wrong, and to do this wouldn't you need to do this mid-install??? By that time its not going to help.

So are you watching movies in your truck that you need surround sound for? Also do you have a proper headunit capable of Dolby surround or similar? Probably not... so you don't actually have surround Sound. You have 4ch stereo.

What does watching movies in your truck have anything to do with where your sound comes from? Am I not supposed to care about music sounds (to my ears), just because I can't see it (with my eyes)? Dolby surround sound? Dolby is just a standard 4 speaker corner setup with a center channel at the correct distance. Dolby is just one way of setting it up. Saying its not surround if its not Dolby is like saying, if you don't get Papa Johns, meat lovers pizza with extra olives, then you're not eating pizza.

Go to a concert, where they play music which is what we tend to listen to in our vehicles. Where does the sound come from? Right in front of you. I have a 4dr Acura and have no rear speakers. And in my seat you can't even tell. Countless people have told me " man it sounds like I'm front row at a concert!" "How do I make mine sound that good"

Concerts: They play it from the entire front, they angle it and they do it at 130+db. As for even trying to compare it to a concert, a concert is about being there with the band and the people, its a different experience, this is really not even in the same ballpark as listening in your vehicle (unless you are trying to kill your ear drums). All they have in common is they both play music, but its in two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ways.

If your speakers were installed correctly you wouldn't need rear speakers when you can't hear the fronts, because you wouldn't have a problem hearing the fronts hahahaha

What does having installed properly have anything to do with it? Go tell the GM/Chevy engineers they should redesign the vehicles so the stereo can account for objects in the front. (PS, FYI, that's really lame to laugh at your own..... was that a joke?)

So you can pull both panels, deaden the rear doors, build a proper speaker baffle, run the wires to the amp, hook it all up, and put the panels back in, all in 15 minutes? I doubt it

Only to gain a glorified tweeter back there? Cause that's basically what you get with a 4" or 4x6"

No, who could? You should try reading the thread. The OP is not going to sound deaden the doors, nor did I ever say I could. Nobody every talked about adding a "proper baffle". There are inserts the OP could use, but what about this thread made you come up with that idea? Nowhere in this thread was that ever discussed, and what gave you that idea that he is going to do something more than what was good from the factory for those? I said unscrew 2 screws, pop the panel, which at that point there will be nothing holding down the edge of the carpet nor would there be anything in the way if OP is installing an amp in the rear of the truck. Then hook it up, and put it back in 15 minutes, YES.

Cypressjeff:

I think either the 600x4 or the 400x4 would work fine for you. Yea just run the front speakers on channels 1+2 and bridge 3+4 to the sub.

If you feel you need rear speakers you can easily hook them to the radio, or buy a mono amp and hook all speakers to the 4ch.

Yeah..... Make sure your amp is capable of doing this. Doing this, I would bet that anything that will be good for your component speakers will give too much power to the sub. You might need 2 small amps, or might have better luck finding a 3ch amp with the specs that will work for you.

Well, you already have rear speakers in there, they may be blown, the factory ones are crap. You can still buy some low wattage ones and just hook those up to the factory connectors, and use the original wiring. As long as you connect the wires in the radio harness up, they will work fine. You wouldn't need to connect them to the amplifier, and if you do it that way, then it makes no difference at all when you do your install.

Yeah..... Make sure your amp is capable of doing this.
Meh... I give up on arguing with you.

Ya that’s a 105 amp alt and you can buy a stock Tahoe alt same year that’s 145 or even 160 but as far as dependability, I think the right aftermarket alts (CES and many others) I have a 96 gmc with three 300 amp alts and it’s my work truck and I drive a lot more miles and no troubles. Check into Custom Electric Services , Jonathan Patrick dude sell awesome alts at decent prices and are very dependable and his customer care is second to none ! Give him a shot you won’t be sorry . He’s on Facebook. The size of system your building just get you a 270 amp alt and you can buy a second battery tray and have both battery’s under the hood and be bulletproof for a work truck , and of course do your big three. And with the extra electrical you can easily add a power inverter if you need 120v for work stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.