New system but no high frequencies above 10,000hz ???

Participant count
  • Participant list

Roland
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Atlanta
I have my new system up and running. When i was testing frequencies with my test CD my highs drop out at a liitle at 10Khz, then 12khz 14khz 18khz 20khz =nothing.

HU Pioneer 80PRS

Amps -PPI 900.4 front channel driving the tweeters only, rear channel driving the door woofers http://www.precisionpower.com/html-version/images/P900-4/2L.jpg

Using my JBL's MS 62C tweeters right now.

I'm only using the amp crossover right now for the tweeters. Shouldn't the high pass allow all the higher frequencies through and the adjustment screw just limit the low end of the high frequencies?

The guy at the shop that built my box said to add the passive crossover to the tweeters to fix this. Is that correct? I did not think the Passive crossover could add anything. So i don't see how that would help

I have the amp is switched to HPF, and the 10xs pushed in, the screw adjustment makes no differences to my high end.

The 80PRS HU is in normal mode right now and EQ is flat (i wanted to sort the out before i switch it to active network.)

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

HU- Pioneer 80PRS, Amps- PPI P-900.4, & P-1000.1, Sub- Dayton UM10-22 Ultimax, front- JBL-MS62c

Tried different speakers and switched rca's still no high fq reponce.

I have to assume its the HU. I see where a few folks say the DEH 80PRS lacks detail... maybe that's what im running into here. I guess I could swap HU's with my son truck and see what happens. Just seems strange that a audiophile HU would have no real highs

Do you have access to any passive cross overs? I had to use them in my camaro to get better freqs out of it. Made a great difference. I have an alpine head unit from like 1903 and some old *** ppi carbon speakers for mids and highs. I also installed a parametric equalizer too which of course made a difference.

I have it in standard mode . Planed to switch it to network once I sorted out the fq but I will switch in the morning and see if that helps.

Yes I do have so e passive crossovers.

I have it in standard mode . Planed to switch it to network once I sorted out the fq but I will switch in the morning and see if that helps.

Yes I do have so e passive crossovers.
I was going to say just hook one up and see what it does for you. Simple enough.

Adding a passive crossover isn't going to bring back your treble. All it can do is further attenuate frequencies. You should set up the head unit to take care of all crossover duties and run the amplifier in full range mode.

Adding a passive crossover isn't going to bring back your treble. All it can do is further attenuate frequencies. You should set up the head unit to take care of all crossover duties and run the amplifier in full range mode.
Yep, that what i had thought also.

I went active, full range, still the same, no response over 10khz. I have not 100% eliminated the amp, but I am fairly convinced it is the DEH 80PRS.

So now the question is. Is my HU defective, or do all DEH-80PRS have no 10kHz + treble?

Yep, that what i had thought also.

I went active, full range, still the same, no response over 10khz. I have not 100% eliminated the amp, but I am fairly convinced it is the DEH 80PRS.

So now the question is. Is my HU defective, or do all DEH-80PRS have no 10kHz + treble?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.