New subwoofer smells.

yes new kickers do smell for a while, all of them I have had from the comps to the solo baric's. gotta love the "new sub smell". Even my audioque 15 had the new sub smell for a short time.

my old kicker 08 l5's always smelled bad off my zx1000.1 was not clipping at all never blew them just they seemed to heat up fast i swaped them out for some se's and never had the smell again. was running them in a 5.4cuft box at 33ish IIRC im not too sure that was a while ago

Can somebody call me a dumbass?! Please!

I failed to realize that when running a ported enclosure the RMS for the CVR is only 300, not 400! I already blew out the CVR I bought. A little bit of fast talk got me a brand new one for free! So now I just need to see if that bastard has a sealed box, I got rid of my old one! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Maybe' I'll break out the table saw and router and make a new one!

I failed to realize that when running a ported enclosure the RMS for the CVR is only 300, not 400! I already blew out the CVR I bought. A little bit of fast talk got me a brand new one for free! So now I just need to see if that bastard has a sealed box, I got rid of my old one! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Maybe' I'll break out the table saw and router and make a new one!
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif. It doesn't really work that way. How do you know what exact rms rating you're sending? are you playing sine wave all day long?

Lower you gain, you were obviously clipping the hell out of it. 100watt rms over the rating wouldn't kill a sub on music, except if your settings on the amp are all mess 'up

also never listen to the best buy dude, they're all wrong... whoever they are. They're brainwash, like in the army

running 100 watt's more then rated isn't going to blow a decent sub unless you are clipping it. You act like that sub is actually seeing 400rms when you factor in voltage drop and impedance rise. You have other problem's if you blew a CVR off that power.

Dude you are truely clueless.

You were clipping that **** the whole time that's why you blew the first one!

okay okay! never said I knew what I was doing. I'm going to have a professional help me tune tomorrow. I can do everything but tune. Which is the most important part. I don't care that I blew the old sub, I got a new one. But I'm not blowing that. So what you guys are saying is it should hit just as hard, and be just as loud in a ported as it was in my sealed enclosure? and actually no, it was hand built at the audio shop. I think it was put together pretty decently, whole thing is sealed pretty well. They said it was tuned to 32hz, but idk if I believe them or not. It's almost 2cubic feet +port displacement. the port is almost the exact size kicker calls for. So yes, guys I am an idiot. but how am i supposed to learn? If you don't **** up, you don't learn.

You have no idea what power you were running if you forgot to factor in the speaker impedance.
I've been trying to get the equation forever, but no one seems to know. I figured if I do the math without the impedance then it would be lower then what it should be. Am I correct in thinking this way? I'm running it at 2ohms, if that helps.

I've been trying to get the equation forever, but no one seems to know. I figured if I do the math without the impedance then it would be lower then what it should be. Am I correct in thinking this way? I'm running it at 2ohms, if that helps.
watts = amps x volts is the equation I assume you are referring to. But, this is a general equation that assumes you know two of the three. Unfortunately however, if you didnt factor in the impedance the amp is running at, you cant know amps. Most amplifiers' output is directly related to the impedance it sees. If it puts out 500 watts at 4ohms, it will put out (approx) 1000 watts at 2ohms. For example, not referencing your amplifier.
One last but.... but if you measured input amperage at the amplifier using a DMM, you already know that without having to worry about speaker impedance.

watts = amps x volts is the equation I assume you are referring to. But, this is a general equation that assumes you know two of the three. Unfortunately however, if you didnt factor in the impedance the amp is running at, you cant know amps. Most amplifiers' output is directly related to the impedance it sees. If it puts out 500 watts at 4ohms, it will put out (approx) 1000 watts at 2ohms. For example, not referencing your amplifier.
One last but.... but if you measured input amperage at the amplifier using a DMM, you already know that without having to worry about speaker impedance.
so Ive i measured the amps with the DDM, then I just multiply that by the voltage, in this case 12.6 and get my watts? I don't have to worry about the impedance if i do it this way? That's the way I did it, but I still thought you had to throw impedance in there somewhere.

so Ive i measured the amps with the DDM, then I just multiply that by the voltage, in this case 12.6 and get my watts? I don't have to worry about the impedance if i do it this way? That's the way I did it, but I still thought you had to throw impedance in there somewhere.
Watts = amps X volts.

Impedance will not affect this equation. Impedance DOES affect the amplifier's output, but it also affects the amp's input amperage. So if you halve speaker resistance, you double amplifier output. But what happens when amplifier output doubles? The amperage the amp pulls also doubles. This is why if you measure amperage directly, you negate impedance as a factor.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.