New sound ordinance laws in my city

loudlittlefvkus
10+ year member

Michigan
So my city passed a new law stating that they have the right to take away your audio system if you get pulled over for noise violations. (i think they impound it or something and you have to pay a fee to get it back) and to that, i say good luck. because i have my box bolted down with 5 brackets and 5 different bolt heads and screws, along with my amp screwed down with 4 different screws. not that i play them loud going through town or anything, i just think itd be funny to watch them try to get it out.

any opinions on this? i think its pretty dumb

which city?

I don't think they can confiscate on civil infractions, and that's all a city can do is pass civil infractions. Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

i would love to see how the law is written. What decibel output? What will they take? etc, etc....

Howell MI. i havent read into it in detail yet, but my friend said something about it so i looked it up quickly at work and saw they changed the ordinance or something. ill read more into it once i get home

to me it doesnt sound too legal, but then again im terrible with law and stuff. do you think they could twist around the laws and find loopholes and stuff so that they would 'legally' be able to take a system for disturbing the peace?

confiscation starts with misdemeanors and felonies. Civil infractions carry no such weight, however, it maybe possible for them to impound the car, being "unfit" for public road use. Driving around with no insurance for example may get your car impounded if stopped, and so on.....

it really depends on how state laws are setup and how far the city ordinances are allowed to go.

This kinda stuff pisses me off at the moment. One of my neighbors called the cops on me yesterday for playing my gfs car for quite literally 45 seconds. it has 2 10s and 600w. The chill cops that showed up told me it pisses them off that people feel the need to call it on over such a short period of "loud".

im glad our city is pretty lenient on our sound ordinances. ours is at 9pm during the week. they may ask you to turn it down here thats about it. but cops never really say anything here unless some one complains about it, but they just say turn it down some. hell when our team is working on something the cops usually call us(we pretty much now them all) and they say "they have a noise complaint are yal working on your systems and say can you calm it down some, i dont want to a make pointless trip over there" lol.

This kinda stuff pisses me off at the moment. One of my neighbors called the cops on me yesterday for playing my gfs car for quite literally 45 seconds. it has 2 10s and 600w. The chill cops that showed up told me it pisses them off that people feel the need to call it on over such a short period of "loud".
^^^THIS...

we just most of the time burp it if we are working on them at the garage and they still call them. when we meter we go out to this lumber companys parking lot and meter because we play music to meter. but the burps are like 2-3 secs

This **** pisses me off on a whole new level. Bet they won't take a Harley bike because of it's noise. They do not have a right to take something that you paid taxes on and paid for with your own money. Leave it to the government to take what isn't theirs. It's all a big fallacy, a lie for control over people, just something else they can make money on.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.