New setup finally : 2 SA-15s ported

Participant count
  • Participant list

SudoGaron
10+ year member

Finally after many weeks of undecided choices I ended up going with 2 SA-15s in a ported box for the Tahoe.

It's not the prettiest box ever but it works and that's all I care about. Here is where I'm getting rather concerned about my amp / wiring setup.

Currently: 4ohm series / parallel wired to a single + / - at the amp. My amp is 2ohm stable and at 4ohm I'm splitting 750 x 2 for only 300ish (if that) per 15. These things are not hitting as hard as they can obviously.

Should I risk the amp going out, running them w/1ohm at 1500x2(750 per sub)? Or should I consider getting a larger / secondary amp and bridge them together?

I know my amp settings are probably way off and that may be affecting the sub gains/sound level as well.

Level : 0-.2v [0v]

Bass EQ: 0-12 (no remote knob) [4] usually

Phase: 0-180 [0]

Subsonic: turned all the way up

Low pass: turned all the way down (may have these mixed up I cant remember unless I'm actually looking at my amp)

I'm probably not setting my filters right and its keeping the better hrz levels from the subs, who knows. I got a long way to go before I can setup an amp / sub properly the first time.

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

Set your subsonic according to your box's tuning. Anywhere from 20-25hz is pretty common.

Set your low pass where you want. The common places are 60-90hz. Your subs are going to play above subsonic, below low pass.

Also, what amp?

Edit: Saw the amp in your sig. That amp should be just fine @ 1 ohm, and that is the most common impedance to run it at around these parts. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Just make sure you set the gain responsibly, lay off on any bass boost, and have no wiring issues.

Thanks for that info. I was worried my subsonic was not set right. I just went to the truck and its setting at I think 24ish. I couldn't see it very well and didn't take the time to count the clicks from turning it. My low pass was way off I had it all the way down so I moved it up a bit toward 80ish or that area.

I need to call MB and ask for a replacement bass knob. manually changing it is driving me crazy.

my wiring is horrible right now let me tell ya. Trying figure out if there is a benefit to wiring them together, then to the amp or just drop each one on a channel at the amp. I'll rewire tonight for 1 ohm, test and report back.

I'm not overly familiar with internals of that amp, but it's very possible that wiring 1 sub to each +/- terminal section would be fine, as they might be internally connected.

Also, set your gain using a DMM at the least, there are plenty of tutorials out there for this, including one on JL Audio's support site. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif It'll help keep everything safe and sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.