New plugs wires=ignition noise? Where to start.

Participant count
  • Participant list

BigPimpJK

Hey guys, first post here, figured I'd make it a nice and impossible problem. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Ok, I've got a 2001 Mustang, with the following installed

Clarion DXZ716 Head

Clarion PEQ460 Parametric

Audiobahn A4600E Amp

Polk EX3 6.5" Components

Polk GNZ 10" Sub in sealed box

Stock rears

Signal goes through the front outputs of the 716 into the PEQ460, where it gets mangled and spit out to 4 channels to the Audiobahn. channels 1/2 run to the EX3's, channels 3/4 are bridged into the GNX sub. The 716s internal amp is pushing the barely-fed stock rears for some tiny highs for the rear passengers. Been running this config fine for at least 6 months, sounds great for my needs. Last week I swapped out my plug wires for some Jacobs 8.5mm performance wires, and added a computer chip (computer is behind pass kick).

Second I fired up the car, I got a wicked ignition noise from the EX3 tweeters. Definately not alternator whine, it's kinda like a staticy noise that changes slightly with RPM. First thought was that I may had pulled something weird on the xover->tweeter speaker wires, so I re-ran those tonight (I've wanted to replace the Polk 18/20 wiring with some 16 for a while anyway, so I figured it was a good excuse. ) Anyway, noise is still there.

Where to go next? Grounds? My head an EQ are sharing the factory harness ground right now, and my amp is grounded to the passenger side seatbelt bolt. My signal cables for the components are run along the passenger side of the car, the subs signal travels down the middle of the car.

I'm not sure what to go ripping up next, and working on the car outside in 90+ degree Missouri heat ain't exactly fun.

Thanks in advance,

JK

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.