New install - low input, very weak bass

Participant count
  • Participant list

C1968366

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys, as stated I’m having some issues after my install in my car. I’ve installed subs before but I had an aftermarket head unit and no troubles
I’m having issues with getting any bass out of the system after install. In order to hear anything you would have to flip switch on the amp to 12DB, turn up the gain, and turn up the bass on the LC2
know. Everything I’m using is here
I’ll go over everything I did and if anyone has any input or sees where I could try something different

2 Skar 12’s SDR
RP-1200.1D Skar amp
LC2i LOC
The car has a factory amp.
It also has the factory head unit which I would like to keep

from reading on different forums and what I was told I could go from right before the passenger rear speaker for input to the LC2, so I ran that there. I have insulated and ground circuits figured out and secure. Fused at the battery and grounded through body with an existing bolt that was there.
Used the GTO on the LC2 to switch on the amp. Everything seems to switch on and off perfectly okay. I double checked my ground with a jumper to see if maybe it wasn’t strong enough. I also ran some jumpers across from the drivers side rear door to add onto the LC2 for both sides of input and I didn’t gain much. Just a little. Nothing like how those subs should be hitting

I have double checked polarity with the right channel and swapped back and forth and I have done the same with the RCA’s

the only thing I could think of just by reading around is I should run the input wires for both channels to the LC2 straight from the head unit instead of post amp..

the only thing I could think of just by reading around is I should run the input wires for both channels to the LC2 straight from the head unit instead of post amp..
I would definitely use left AND right channels. Two things come to mind in your situation. First is that you may have Auto Volume Level control active, which reduces bass volume to protect OEM speakers, but the LC2 should cancel that. Second is that the signal was taken from a filtered output. The speaker you chose might be protected by a crossover that prevents lower bass notes to play through it. So if you have an OEM sub, I advise using that signal instead (straight from the sub, the LC2 can take it). If no OEM sub, use the signal from the front doors woofers.

I would definitely use left AND right channels. Two things come to mind in your situation. First is that you may have Auto Volume Level control active, which reduces bass volume to protect OEM speakers, but the LC2 should cancel that. Second is that the signal was taken from a filtered output. The speaker you chose might be protected by a crossover that prevents lower bass notes to play through it. So if you have an OEM sub, I advise using that signal instead (straight from the sub, the LC2 can take it). If no OEM sub, use the signal from the front doors woofers.
I do not believe I have a factory sub. I will wire up to the front doors and see what I get, thanks!

As the previous replier stated your LOC will make up for you HU cutting the level of lower frequencies, if it does. If you haven’t then mess around with the AcuBass knob (whatever it’s called). If the sub isn’t distorting with a 12dB increase then you’d probably be safe to raise the gains on your amp and possibly the LOC, (either or both could be too low), I’m assuming you know how to do this as it isn’t your first go around but this is the most obvious cause for your issue. Insofar far as I’m aware (I’m fairly new to such things) the only things this could be would be gains, your HU messing with levels at lower frequencies or phase issues. Personally I’d switch polarity first (I’d assume you’ve already done this) then start messing with gains. There’s not a whole lot else that can do this, especially if you’re using the LOCs bass restoration feature.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...