New guy with issues...

Participant count
  • Participant list

boostmaster

Hello All;

Quick intro: I used to be big into heavy bass in car audio. As I grew older my tastes switched to better home audio... I usually have an ok set up in my cars and wire everything myself.

Lately, however, I've been having an issue... (I don't have model numbers currently available to me but I can provide if necessary)

I have a wrx wagon. I purchased it new and gutted it and dynomatted the whole thing. I installed some Pioneer door speakers, a JVC head unit, an Orion Cobalt CS500.5 amp and 10" Orion sub in a sealed box and everything sounded great and the bass hit nice and hard! When the JVC finally died, I upgraded to an Alpine CDA105.

I also upgraded my front speakers to some nice 6.5" Boston Acoustics.

Recently, the Alpine started clipping badly at level 20 or so... Never had this issue with the cheap JVC. I turned the internal amp off and reset all the levels on the amp and it's just been terrible to the point that the original radio sounded better.

So, I decided to try something new again... This time a cheap no name Chinese double din DVD/Nav unit... This thing has navigation, DVD, Bluetooth, rear camera, and 3 pre outs...

I wired it up and everything works except for the terrible radio reception- can barely hold a station!!! SO, I think it's going back...

Anyway, when I tested the CD feature, it sounded fine but clipped at level 23 or so and even with all the gains reset again, it all still sounds terrible...

I'm wondering if the amp is starting to take a crap on me.

I have a cheap Sony deck in another car with some JL audio 6x9's and it sounds better.... (and the radio reception is excellent)

I'm starting to wonder what I'm doing wrong... (yes, I know a bunch of it is "cheap" stuff but, I've made it sound decent before- wondering why it's not doing so now)

Any input is greatly appreciated.

If you're clipping well before 75% of max volume: Than more than likely your gains are not properly set, or you have defective equipment and/or wiring somewhere in your setup...

That's what I'm trying to figure out... I've never had any of my head units clip on me unless I was really cranking them... Issue started with the Alpine... Now this no name deal.... Could it be my amp? I turned the gain down and started creeping up till there was clipping and then backed off... Still sounds like crap!

It's definitely a possibility, if at all possible I'd try another amp just to test and compare results to help narrow your problem down faster...

I don't have another amp but I'm starting to lean towards that... I've put together a few systems and never run into something like this... Once in a while I'll start to doubt myself so, I look around to see if others have had similar issues.

I guess it's time to start amp shopping...

I don't have another amp but I'm starting to lean towards that... I've put together a few systems and never run into something like this... Once in a while I'll start to doubt myself so, I look around to see if others have had similar issues.
I guess it's time to start amp shopping...
- If you're sure that your power & ground are healthy and functioning properly, know for sure your speakers are good, and changing HU's has no effect on this issue... Then I'd lean towards the amp too, but like I said if you could find a buddy or something who would let you borrow an amp just to test this theory: That would be your best bet so you don't have to open your wallet before you're certain of the issue at hand //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Its really hard to diagnose electrical gremlins unless you're there in person but before I started buying new equipment I would check your wires. Maybe your rca cables are bad.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

boostmaster

boostmaster
Lexington, KY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Slo_Ride