new enclosure maybe? newb question

Participant count
  • Participant list

joelbah
10+ year member

I have a very beginner system and I'm a newb...please bear with me.

Power Akoustic BAMF 800/2 amp (something like that)

Kenwood HU, (can't remember which one)

Two older Polk Audio 150w 10" subs

Q-logic 2x10" Bandpass box (here's a pic of the box: http://images.craigslist.org/3m33o53l75Y05U35P3a8i4dd43288d269130a.jpg)

Oh yeah and my car is Mazda Protege 5 hatchback.

Here's my question. I have heard bandpass enclosures are efficient but muddy and loose/boomy sounding. I don't have a lot of power to begin with, but I rarely turn my subs all the way up anyway.

I just like a punchy, clear sound cause I mostly listen to rock and some torqued-out aggressive synth stuff from time to time. I think I would rather sacrifice some power for some clarity and tightness.

I am thinking of getting a sealed enclosure. Maybe ported? I would love to spend less than $50. Is this possible at all? Overall I'm fairly happy...not a huge car audio snob yet, but I would love a tighter sound. Also If I could save some trunk space that would be awesome as well.

Would a sealed box do the trick?

How much power am I going to lose?

Can anyone recommend a 2x10" box for cheap?

is this one worth $40? New MDF Sealed Dual Enclosure Box 2SL 10" 1.5 Black - eBay (item 370443048599 end time Oct-15-10 13:54:25 PDT)

You can build your own enclosure. 99% of pre-made enclosures ****, especially ported ones. By changing enclosures you don't lose power. The power is still the same, you just lose or gain loudness and/or sound quality. It sound like you might like a sealed box. A ported box would provide more out put and play lower with more authority. If you don't listen to rap, you should probably go sealed.

You can build your own enclosure. 99% of pre-made enclosures ****, especially ported ones. By changing enclosures you don't lose power. The power is still the same, you just lose or gain loudness and/or sound quality. It sound like you might like a sealed box. A ported box would provide more out put and play lower with more authority. If you don't listen to rap, you should probably go sealed.
Thanks for the input!

I guess I could build my own but I would have no idea where to start. Are there threads or websites or kits that could tell me everything I need to know?

I can design you an enclosure. What you need basically is a tool to cut MDF, like a table saw, a jigsaw and/or router, wood glue, and wood screws. Clamps would help, but you don't have to have them. The concept is easy, but making straight cuts and trying to fit the pieces together can be more difficult.

I don't know if I have the time or tools for a project like that. I'm sure there is a learning curve.

what if you made it for me? how much money would make it worth it to you?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.