New car......

naiku
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Virginia
Later this year I am hoping to be able to sell my truck and get something a little more fun for my commute to work and back (3 hours!!!!).......... I had pretty much decided I want a BMW E39 M5, I want something fast, comfy, that handles well and has room in the back for 2 car seats......... the BMW has all of this.

The last few days I have been thinking Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, ok it might not be as good as the BMW, but its cheaper (2001 M5 is still over $30k, while I can get a year old Lancer for $25k) ............

Which would people go for and why? I really love the M5, but don't know if I should wait a little longer to get one once the price has gone down some more. I would guess though that the depreciation on the M5 is a lot better than on the Evo (I plan on keeping this vehicle for a few years).......either one is going to be a hell of a lot better on a commute than my truck...........

Look at a Lincoln Mark VIII, and test drive one. They are dirt cheap right now and with a little TLC and minor mods can throw some good HP (up into the 320 range). And they are VERY comfortable to drive.

Look at a Lincoln Mark VIII, and test drive one. They are dirt cheap right now and with a little TLC and minor mods can throw some good HP (up into the 320 range). And they are VERY comfortable to drive.
man he has 3 hours worth of commute so unless he wants to spend 10 grand a month on gas ,why the hell would he get a lincoln?plus he wants something that handles well and from the cars he's looking at(small)i doubt a lincoln mark vIII will fit the bill

man he has 3 hours worth of commute so unless he wants to spend 10 grand a month on gas ,why the hell would he get a lincoln?plus he wants something that handles well and from the cars he's looking at(small)i doubt a lincoln mark vIII will fit the bill
My Mark VIII was in TERRIBLE shape, I never tuned it up and beat it and got an even 20mpg. I got up to 27 mpg highway. A BMW likely won't get much better than that.

Mark VIII's have a DOHC V8 which is responsive and powerful. Plus, it's rear wheel drive, well handling and well blanced, even better so than a T-Bird somehow, even though they share a platform.

Just try one, if you can find one... You'll like it.

The tank of a car Lincoln Mark VIII will have nowhere near the performance, build quality, refinement or handling of a BMW M5. C'mon, that land yacht of Ford failure is no comparison to a BMW. Now next to the slapped together hyped up econo-sedan that is an Evo, at least the Lincoln won't look so shoddy. However, the performance characteristics are just that much more unmatched as an Evo never tried to be luxury, and simply stomps the piss out of a Mark VIII in both a straightline and in corners.

The tank of a car Lincoln Mark VIII will have nowhere near the performance, build quality, refinement or handling of a BMW M5. C'mon, that land yacht of Ford failure is no comparison to a BMW. Now next to the slapped together hyped up econo-sedan that is an Evo, at least the Lincoln won't look so shoddy. However, the performance characteristics are just that much more unmatched as an Evo never tried to be luxury, and simply stomps the piss out of a Mark VIII in both a straightline and in corners.
I didn't say it was better. It's an acceptable, cheaper substitute that many people overlook. Putting that many miles on each day is going to kill the value of any car quickly. Unless he has alot of money to spend on an M5, which he apparently does...

it doens't make sense to me to rack up alot of miles on a newer/more expensive car where there is a cheaper one that will suffice.

I didn't say it was better. It's an acceptable, cheaper substitute that many people overlook. Putting that many miles on each day is going to kill the value of any car quickly. Unless he has alot of money to spend on an M5, which he apparently does...
it doens't make sense to me to rack up alot of miles on a newer/more expensive car where there is a cheaper one that will suffice.
id have to agree you will find that most cars like that will void warrenty once they hit 150,000km and if you have a 3hour drive to work the miles or km's will rake up quite quickly BMW parts arent cheap to replace either, thats stock not 3rd party replcements. ive never driven a ford but i would reccomend one they use them for taxi's in australia because the engine has the capacity to go beyond 400,000 km's with regular servicing and depending on the model will depend on the comfort and power of it. not saying you should definitly buy it but dont overlook it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif also asian cars fit the bill very well becuase the parts are cheap and they just are cheap in genral (some are not :p) good luck

the mark 8 is a great car no matter what dip fuck seems to think. however i dont think its what you're looking for.

I personally would go with the M5 as its got ~400hp on tap iirc, is well refined, yet still sporty in a understated way (red leather inserts on the seats, different boy work, dual double tipped exhaust etc. etc.). It would probably be alot easier to live with. Not to mention it wont be plauged with the loud interior, boy racer look, and depreciation that the evo is. The trade off is performance.

Have you ever driven in a Mark 8? If not STFU.

I've been in both and on the luxury side towards the M5 the lincoln isn't too far away from it...

If you have the money go for the M5, if you want something a lil cheaper and still a good, well built car. The mark 8 is nice, but you seem a little older so I'd go M5.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/Mark+8/0/44e4ef7e-5833-44bc-8a9e-987e01288702.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/Mark+8/0/040c3a4d-13ac-44e1-bc44-987f0178ee31.htm

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.