New car, reusing "old" equipment, and need some advice.

Participant count
  • Participant list

untouchables21

Let me start out by saying as much as I enjoy the sound of great audio equipment, I honestly don't know a ton about it. So I'm turning to you folks and hoping to not get roasted...lol.

I bought a new car a few months ago, and I'd like to reuse the speakers I bought not too long ago in the new car. My Nissan Rogue has 6x8's in the front door and tweeters on the front dash, which I'm going to replace with my 6.5" Hertz HSK165XL components. No issue there.

Now I know most people say not to do anything in the rear door, but I always put something in the back for my passengers enjoyment. And this is where my dilemma is. For some reason, the Rogue uses 6.5 coax in the rear doors. I have a set of HSK165 components (I replaced them with the XLs a year after buying them because I liked the sound better from the XL's), and the one guy I talked to at the installer said to just install the 6.5" woofers back there for some fill. But when I mentioned that setup to a guy I work with, he said that they would sound like crap just installed on their own back there. Personally, I don't claim to know enough about speaker setup and layout to know either way. I do have a pair of Hertz HCX570 and Hertz HCX690 I could theoretically use back there, but I don't think there's anyway to make them fit in place of the stock 6.5's.

So on that note, I turn to masses for opinions. Will installing just the woofer in the back for fill work, or will it sound horrible? If so, should I just have my installer cut the door panel somewhere and install the tweeter that came with component set, or is there a way to possibly fit the 5X7 coax into the space where the stock 6.5's are?

I ran full components in my back deck and i love it, id try hard to put that tweet in back there, and remember, the tweet doesnt have to be in the same location as the mid, its just better for imaging if you do

Yea, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have him install the tweeters somewhere back there, since I already have them. I just get weird about cutting holes in my brand new car...lol. Its not like I'm going to use just the tweeters anywhere else.

I'd actually never heard of a braxial speaker, but I looked at it and sent the idea to my installer. He said he could definitely do it so long as there's space in the door for it. He did express a bit of concern about how hard the components hit and them shaking something loose, so he said he could just cut the door panels and install them. I basically told him to play it by ear. I trust him enough to do whats best...

Just installing the mid won't sound like crap in the rear seats, it'll sound better than having that HSK tweeter. Good move upgrading to the XL's. The HsK woofer ran without a low pass filter will have high frequency content anyway.

If you want a front sound stage, don't put tweeters behind you. Rule #1.

The rear passengers won't have a soundstage anyway, but they should clearly hear music from the front speakers. Your front tweeter placement will determine how well they will hear them.

Installing them in front of the woofer low on the door wont be any better than not installing them. Go for it, but have the ability to easily disconnect them so you can hear with and without, I suspect, if you appreciate accurate reproduction of music, that you won't want them on. Anyone who has heard that tweeter should agree.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

untouchables21

untouchables21
New Jersey
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
keep_hope_alive