New '09 F-150 Subwoofer, Box & Amp Recommendations

Participant count
  • Participant list

stillfeelnit

Since my earliest days of car audio, I've had SUVs to stuff huge ported boxes and 12 or 15" woofers in the back, wired up to a huge mono amp.

Well, those days are over. I bought a 2009 F-150 Super Crew Cab Truck.

I'm needing some advice on what subwoofers, box, and amp will get me as close to my previous setups as possible. I need to keep the back seats.

I listen to mostly hardcore rock, mixed in with some old school rock, rap, and electric.

I'm looking for a sql subwoofer that has decent sp as well.

I'm hoping to spend less (much less, hopefully) than $1,000 on subs and amp.

Laying around my garage I have:

Elemental Designs Nine.1
1200W x 1 @ 1 Ohm
900W x 1 @ 2 Ohm
450W x 1 @ 4 Ohm
Height : 2.250"
Width : 9.850"
Length : 15.875"
Overall Length(w/ feet) : 17.175"
&
Orion H2 15.4

I will be selling and/or trading both of these to put towards a new setup.

After looking at boxes sold online, I'd rather build my own and incorporate forward facing speakers for more depth clearance.

In the past, Resonant Engineering, JL Audio, and Orion have treated me well.

But for the sake of price and limited space, I'm looking for some advice for 10" subwoofers and an amp to push them.

Here are some pictures, so we are clear on where all this is going.

It would be easier to do a few beefy 8s in that space, unless you already have a plan to raise the back seats. Without raising the seats you can get about 1.2 cubes if you stop the box at the front edge of the seats. That's not enough volume for even 1 standard 10" if you go ported. I've done a pair of the new Pioneer shallow 12s in this enclosure: 2009-2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew Sub Box Dual

I've been looking around on Amazon and some classifies on forums, and the SA-8 D2's seem to be decent subs, with reviews to match.

I'd like a couple of JL Audio W7 8's or RE Audio 8's, but that price tags are scary.

My back seat could be raised, but I would much prefer a washer method to the bracket style.

Google hasn't turned out any washer method tutorials.

The box doesn't need to stop at the edge of seats, but it's highly preferable.

I'm thinking having the subs facing forward instead of down firing could save me some room as well? Any blue prints for a box such as this?

Look into the sundown sd-2 series. The magnet on the sa8v2 is massive you would have to lift you seat a lot. Im not real familiar with the re's but the w7's are the same way a very beefy sub you would probably have to lift your backseat 2 inches or more. One other option I did a center console box in my sons 99 f150 hardly any space constraints there and it sounded pretty good for just 1 sub and approximately 300 watts.

double edit just read the top of your last post.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a thought last night:

Understandably, some people won't agree with this, but bare with me.

If I were to give up my 1/3 seat (the short one), and inverted my 15" Orion H2 15.4 in it's place.

Then made a box, such as this one I quickly sketched up (numbers are rough, I'm no pro at SketchUp)

qYniJdd.png

Which gives over 3³ft (according to this speaker enclosure calculator) of the 2.2³ft that Orion suggests in a sealed enclosure @1500W.

Would that work?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.