new 06 pioneer HU's vs Eclipse cd8445?

i have an eclipse cd8445 now...i like it and all, im just wondering if any of the new pioneer models(regular or premier) are better than my current HU? i was in treys car today and i never liked the pioneer p8mp(i know thats last years model i think...)but after seeing it and seeing how it works, i kinda like it...what do u guys think? keep eclipse or go pioneer? if pioneer, which models? soon ill have 2 mt's and 2 orion d5000's on it(maybe 3 mt's and amps, idk yet)

VJ

First off let me compliment your ride, I recently had a 97 Eddie Bauer Exploder same color similar chrome rims. To answer your question, the grass is always greener on the other side my friend. To me Pioneer's grass is greenest, but you will always like what you don't have. I would say check out Pioneer's lineup and be really sure you like it, then if you do, go for it.

Eclipse is a better sounding deck, plain and simple, however pioneer decks always have had more toys on them, so thats what it comes down to, do you wanna sacrifice some sound quality (and preout voltage) to get more options. Both are good sounding decks and I am actually I pioneer fan myself, but the eclipse is a better SQ deck

Eclipse is a better sounding deck, plain and simple, however pioneer decks always have had more toys on them,
but the eclipse is a better SQ deck

According to whom?? I will agree that Eclipse decks sound really good but that is a generalization that has become far too common on this forum. Pioneer decks are much more than just lights and toys. My 860 is wonderful sounding head unit. My friend used to run a 940 and it was outstanding as well. I've owned alot of decks in my days (including Eclipse) and I've always ended up going back to Pioneer because of the sound quality. I also guarantee that this years Eclipse decks sound NO better than this years Premier decks, especially the 880PRS.

To the thread starter: I would suggest finding a place that will let you audition a deck or a place with a good return policy. Chances are however, that you liked the deck in your friend's car because it was DIFFERENT than your Eclipse, not necessarily better. You're going through a period where your deck has become stale to you, in other words it has lost its new appeal to you. I would suggest working on another part of your system and not focus so much on your head unit. Once you have your MTs and your amps all installed and tweaked and if you still can't get past the looks of your deck then go ahead and try something different. Just don't get your hopes up too high though as it is hard to find a deck that sounds that much better than Eclipse.

I think Pioneer makes good stuff, but overall, for sq, I would take Eclipse. That said, to compare 2 specific models, you need to test both, side by side and see what YOUR ears tell you.

First off let me point out that I am a big pioneer fan, always have been. But check out bench tests done on the decks and your gonna find that the eclipse decks come out with a lower distortion rating than the pioneer decks. With that said of course the pioneer deck has far more sound adjustment options so if you have alot of peaks and valleys in your systems then the pioneer is better suited to smooth those out. But set to flat the eclipse deck keeps the signal cleaner than the pioneer does, hence it being a better sq deck

But set to flat the eclipse deck keeps the signal cleaner than the pioneer does, hence it being a better sq deck
Well, that being said it is still up to the listeners ears to decide which sounds better just like JL Civic pointed out. I mean what difference does it make what a deck sounds like flat when NO ONE listens to their deck flat.?? So that stat doesn't really mean much if you ask me.

Well, that being said it is still up to the listeners ears to decide which sounds better just like JL Civic pointed out. I mean what difference does it make what a deck sounds like flat when NO ONE listens to their deck flat.?? So that stat doesn't really mean much if you ask me.
I would just like to go down for the record as one of the people who listen to their deck flat, absolutely totally flat. Not even BBE. I would say that the 880PRS sounds by far best set flat. Nobody is flatter than me! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

To be perfectly clear, I have never heard anything in my entire life that is comparably accurate to the 880PRS. In car audio that is. Havn't heard Nakamichi though.

I would just like to go down for the record as one of the people who listen to their deck flat, absolutely totally flat. Not even BBE. I would say that the 880PRS sounds by far best set flat. Nobody is flatter than me! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif
To be perfectly clear, I have never heard anything in my entire life that is comparably accurate to the 880PRS. In car audio that is. Havn't heard Nakamichi though.
Yeah but you're sort of missing the point of having an EQ. If your car has the acoustic properties that allows you to achieve a good response with the deck set to flat then so be it. But if you're not achieving a good response and you're leaving the deck flat then you're cheating yourself a bit don't you think? Don't get me wrong, if that is how you like it then its your deck and you can set it however the fuck you want it.LOL.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

On a side note: I don't care for BBE at all. The only processing I use on my 860 is "comp" or BMX when I'm listening to mp3s. Other than that its the EQ only.

Yeah but you're sort of missing the point of having an EQ. If your car has the acoustic properties that allows you to achieve a good response with the deck set to flat then so be it. But if you're not achieving a good response and you're leaving the deck flat then you're cheating yourself a bit don't you think? Don't get me wrong, if that is how you like it then its your deck and you can set it however the fuck you want it.LOL.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
On a side note: I don't care for BBE at all. The only processing I use on my 860 is "comp" or BMX when I'm listening to mp3s. Other than that its the EQ only.
Well I did let autoeq run, but after that was done I found that the soundstage was impeccable. I ran BBE at -4 for a bit, but turned off sounds best. The soundstage is nearly as good as the 15k HT setup in the living room.

Well I did let autoeq run, but after that was done I found that the soundstage was impeccable. I ran BBE at -4 for a bit, but turned off sounds best. The soundstage is nearly as good as the 15k HT setup in the living room.
Oh ok, I never even used auto anything on my Pioneer decks. But when I have access to an RTA its hard to justify not taking advantage of it.

I would say the pioneer 880 over that eclipse deck. I have never owned that deck but have heard alot about the eclipse decline in sq in the last 2 years. that is the only pioneer i would say has better sq, well that and the 860. I do like my older Eclipse decks for SQ. as far as new pioneer all the way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.