NEP New England Providore Subs

NEP 12 Inch Subwoofer 750 to 1200 Watts RMS Incredible Sound Quality and Impact | eBay
What confuses me is the 1200watt woofer was on eBay and sold for $107 ^ click link....

NEP 12 Inch Subwoofer 750 to 1200 Watts RMS Incredible Sound Quality and Impact

now it's on eBay for $249 ^ click link.and in the FIRST link there alittle thing above the price that says regular price is $499.... like wtf
The eBay listing you are linking to was a 1 time no reserve auction done as a promotion. They cost more than that to make. The normal price should be $399.99, and they are currently on sale. If it says $499.99 for the normal price than that was a typo.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

The eBay listing you are linking to was a 1 time no reserve auction done as a promotion. They cost more than that to make. The normal price should be $399.99, and they are currently on sale. If it says $499.99 for the normal price than that was a typo.

We'll I wish you luck because those prices are kinda high For a 2.5coil woofer... u need to compete with sundown SA,FU audio etc... and those have dual voice coils and 2 and 4 ohm options. And cheaper then $399

Our 400W version, which will retail for $249.99, can handle the same power, up to 750W RMS, and will compete directly with the Sundown SA 12". The Sundown SA subwoofer also has a 2.5 inch coil. We will introduce more coil options in the future. Ours will have better sound quality and play louder due to its high efficiency and very similar excursion capabilities.

We'll I wish you luck because those prices are kinda high For a 2.5coil woofer... u need to compete with sundown SA,FU audio etc... and those have dual voice coils and 2 and 4 ohm options. And cheaper then $399
It's a different market. Some people still think you have to run sub bass at 4ohm to sound good. I'm not sure how many of those types are still around but linear power still seeks amps somehow. And this Boland. Gullible audiofools.

Welcome aboard. Recently all the audio competitions/shows in New England can be found at nadbl.org which is rebranded TNESPL and has pretty much merged with New England SPL, though it may be that Steve will continue to update events on New England SPL website.
My .02 cents on your philosophy: Low inductance isn't necessarily the end all be all of good sound. AFAIK there's more than one way to skin a cat there. Split gap, split coil, LMS coil are other popular distortion lowering x-max raising techniques and even underhung motors seem to do quite well. Shorting rings aren't new and have their place but from the debates I've seen on the subject have their own set of tradeoffs.

As others have mentioned, single 4 ohm coil is a hard sell in the 12V arena these days. I suspect a brick and mortar with a real salesman could sell single 4 ohm, but we are living in the age of the cheap class D Korean amp. Power can be had for 15 cents a watt and you want to build your 1 ohm stable amp robust enough to survive .5 ohm since every ******* who watches youtube is going to try it. Even amps that make max power at 2 ohm are rather rare these days, I expect largely due to the cost We're not going back to bulky and hot-running class A/B for sub amps for the sake of driving 4 ohm loads. The psychology is "I want to get every bit of power out of this amp" and virtually nobody buys a 4000W@ 1 ohm amp to run it for 1000W at 4 ohm with better damping factor and sound quality.

In the single 4 ohm arena the market is pretty much home theater/Parts Express/Madisound type crowd. You might find some high voltage guys at DIYMA forum but even there I suspect 1 ohm class D is or will soon be replacing that.

Also be very careful about 1200W power handling claim. If you call that "recommended amp size rating" you will probably be safe, but I'm very confident if you clamp a 50hz sine wave into one of those subs and clamp 1200W of power into it it will smoke quickly. Don't think that's realistic for real-world? Come to some of the SPL shows and see what passes for "music" and see what people who buy power cheap do with woofers.

Anyway, if you really wanted to sell something to the guys who like to run higher impedance, you'd do better to figure out a way to make an affordable amp that makes 1000W at 4 ohm with good enough protection to prevent guys from dropping it down to 1 ohm nominal counting on "rise" to get back up to 4.

Again, welcome aboard, it's good to have another enthusiast in the area and on this forum.
Thank you very much. I appreciate the reply. I will write more in more detail a bit later, but from what I am hearing I am certainly thinking of a lower impedance for the next production run. I have seen enough during laboratory testing to believe that 4 ohms usually sounds better, but this is not an easy thing to distinguish. I do not think there is anyone who would be able to tell the difference without side by side comparison in a controlled setting. So I am certainly not opposed to lowering the impedance. I just chose 4 ohms because I wanted a single voice coil and this seemed like a good starting point for a SQ subwoofer.

I can say, however, lowering the inductance made a huge difference during our prototyping and testing. It is subtle, but with the lowered inductance the sound seems more controlled and even. It makes certain low frequency sounds appear where you did not realize they existed. The resonating blur between frequencies is cut way down. That's the best way that I can describe it. By measurement, the impedance spike was brought down by over 20%, and you can then correlate that to allowing the amplifier more direct control over the cone movement during the impedance spike.

Possibly interested in the 1300w sub coming out. 15" availability would be nice and a very competitive price against the soundrive sd3. Subwoofer sensitivity is also a useless parameter when using a ported alignment.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.