Needs a new sub for my hatchback

danieldl
10+ year member

Hi everyone.

Here is my situation. I have a 2009 hatchback Yaris and I'm using about half of the trunk for the audio system (the other half is full of useful things that I want to keep in my car). I've just burned out my last 10" Type-R (the 500W RMS one) today and I'm now looking further to buy a new subwoofer.

Actually, I have a PDX-1.1000 and a original Alpine Type-R first generation vented enclosure. I'm also on gauge 8, and everything is stock in my Yaris (and I don't plan to change the alternator or add a battery, I don't have the budget for it (neither the space)).

The first thing I know it that I need gauge 4 cable. Real gauge 4 that will power up a little better that 1000W monster. Next, there is the 10"-12" thing. I've never had a 12" sub, so I cannot comment too much. What I can say is that I'm limited in space and mostly listening to rap/hip-hop/techno/dance. The other thing I know is that I want to buy on sonicelectronix.com or any other online retailer that ships to Canada for not too much. Considering it's still about $80 to ship it to my home and that I don't want to go too much over $300 overall, you can see that I'm really limited.

I can actually sell my 10" for a 12" one if needed. Don't know if I should go ported or sealed. But I know that I always want more from my sub, and that's why my two last Type-R are now dead. I've just turned on the volume a little too much on Pitbull - Crazy and there we are.

The new Type-Rs are 600W RMS. Anybody have any comment on how they're comparing to the last generation one? It should help a little bit in my case. I have the gain set to output actually about 600W RMS when I'm at 90% of full volume. I don't know if the 12" is better than the 10" (heatsink or whatever) or if there is any cheaper alternative that will output as much SPL. By the way, I'm looking mostly for SPL.

Any recommandation for the gauge 4 cables on soniclectronix.com would be appreciated too. Sub, cables and maybe a new enclosure (I can go up to $400 if I sell my other enclosure).

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

So if I'm following you, I should go with a little 12" ported enclosure?

Sounds great to me, I will take the exact measures tomorrow for the space available.

And for the sub? Should I go for the 600W Type-R or looking for something else? It's $139.99 for the 12" on soniclectronix. Don't know if I should try looking at a 800-900W sub instead (or even 1kW).

And I forgot one essential point. PDX have same wattage whether it's 2 or 4 ohms. Am I better with a 2-ohm DVC (2+2=4) or a 4-ohms DVC (4+4=2)? Considering I'm using AWG 4 wires from my battery (but only something like 15' long, Yaris is short =)). I don't know if it really matters or not with the amperage.

Providing I had the money, I'd go with the 900w just so I wouldnt have to worry about it any more. Dont forget to be looking at the min/max ported enclosure size in the specs part on sonic

Providing I had the money, I'd go with the 900w just so I wouldnt have to worry about it any more. Dont forget to be looking at the min/max ported enclosure size in the specs part on sonic
Yup but I don't have $400 to spend on it. I still may reconsider my budget but...

For the specs:

Minimum Ported Box Volume 1.0 cubic feet

Maximum Ported Box Volume 2.0 cubic feet

You guys are usually using more than 2.0 ft^3 for Type-Rs (as far as I've seen). But I don't think I will have any problem to go up to 1.5 ft^3.

This DD 512 I bought recently sounds real good. It was at 400rms and it vibrated my eyelids and tickled my nose. LoL

Goes for cheap brand new too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.