Needed Advice for 5 Channel Installation

Participant count
  • Participant list

Abyssul

Alright, heres a little background.

Currently I have a Boss Chaos Extreme 5 Channel 1800 amp which is hooked up to a Pioneer CVR 10" dual voice kicker in a sealed box and hooked up via RCA and a 2 Ohm load. For the first and second channel, I have two Pioneer 6x9's hooked up directly and input via high level inputs. The last two channels I plan to install Amazon.com: Power Acoustik NB-2 200-Watt 3-Way Tweeters:….

Now that you know the data, I need to ask some questions:

- How should I wire the tweeters and 6.5" into the 3rd and 4th channel? Series, Parallel? Refer to manual for specs.

- I used to have my subwoofer hooked up with a 8 ohm load, but changed it to 2 ohm. Now my amp gets pretty hot while in use. I've read the manual and it says that it accepts 2-8 ohm loads (page 16 of the manual) yet later in the manual it states something that I don't understand for Min. speaker impedance. (page 21)

Here's the link for the manual:

http://www.bossaudio.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=downloadfile&downloaditemid=584

Please help with this as I don't want to damage my subwoofer and amp with a improper ohm load.

Well, it doesnt say if those tweets have a cap wired in. I think that you should check that out. If it does have a cap wired on it, then I would run those off the deck. and put the 6.5's on the amp.

If it doesnt have a cap wired to it, then go get one. and run it off the deck. I think 4.7 uf is the right cap.

capacitor indeed. the tiny lil black ones. they change the freq going to the tweet. for example.. 20hz-20khz is going to come out the deck. you dont want that all to go to the tweet so cap it at say10khz. I am not sure if I remember the freq for 4.7uf cap, but it is the typical one used. As for your sub... what is this suppossed to mean? ..............

I have a Boss Chaos Extreme 5 Channel 1800 amp which is hooked up to a Pioneer CVR 10" dual voice kicker in a sealed box and hooked up via RCA and a 2 Ohm load....... ? if you are saying that you have a kicker cvr 10 loaded at 2 ohm on the amp, that is fine.

Is crossover and capacitor similar? The specs say that it plays only certain frequencies due to a crosssover.

The sub issue is that I don't want to have an improper ohm load for the sub and wanted to ask you guys if you could look at the specs of the amp and see if 2 ohms is alright. I don't wanna blow my amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, so I'm stilling having the cut off issue with my amp. The protect light doesn't even come on when it happens either. The whole amp just shuts down for like 30 seconds then resumes. It almost seems like someone pulls the power cord or something yet that is fine. The amp also becomes scorching hot whenever it is at 2 ohm impedance, but fine at 8 ohms.

Would it be ok if I set the sub to 8ohms and raised the gain? With 2 ohms, I'd have it at the 1/4 mark, but the 8ohm would require it to be higher to match in power.

Just replicated the problem and noticed that my Power On wire stays at the 12v yet the battery wire goes to 1v when the amp shuts off. Is it possible that my 8 gauge wire is affecting it? The battery wire has a 80 amp fuse and 8 gauge rating and the amp has 3 25amp fuses.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.