Need Suggestions on New 15

Atimm693
10+ year member

Shadetree Mechanic
I got 2 15" Lanzar max's in a trade to replace a Diamond D3. Anyway I made a 4ft^3 ported box tuned at 30hz for one of them and it sounded pretty good. I wired it to 8 ohms to avoid over-powering but smoked the first one in a day. I've been able to make the second last but it's time for an upgrade. I have a RF 1050s which makes 1050wrms at 4 ohms.

Here are some options I've thought of. I don't want to spend more than 200.00, 150 is really what I'm looking to spend.

Options I've though of.

1. Get my TC9 motor redone into a custom 15. Probably will cost the most.

2. Used L7 15

3. Type R 15

Anyone have any suggestions in that price range?

I would but the motor is shifted so it is probably gonna cost more than 200.00 when it's all said and done.

Would an AQ SD2.5 survive 1000rms? I could always wire to 8 ohms. I like the looks of that and it seems to be one of the best for the price.

What kind of electrical do you have? Cause as shltty as the Lanzar is it shouldn't have blown. Not wired at 8 ohms anyway. Maybe start there....

I would but the motor is shifted so it is probably gonna cost more than 200.00 when it's all said and done.
Would an AQ SD2.5 survive 1000rms? I could always wire to 8 ohms. I like the looks of that and it seems to be one of the best for the price.
Could always just gain it so that the amp isn't giving it 1000rms . . .

^^^ this.

i would still build the tc9, but if you decide not to and go with just buying a sub i will suggest an obsidian 15 over the other 3 you've mentioned.

What kind of electrical do you have? Cause as shltty as the Lanzar is it shouldn't have blown. Not wired at 8 ohms anyway. Maybe start there....
Stock with 4 gauge wiring, I think with an 85 amp alt. I have some dimming but voltage never dips below 12.5. That's at full tilt which I rarely listen to anyway. I'm not aware of any clipping that's occurring.

yes the Aq will survive 1000rms... the wifey had the sdc2.5 12 and was feeding it right around 1200rms daily, never smelled or bottomed out. so i know the 15" should be fine

From what I can tell it looks like it's between the SD2.5 and the Obsidian. I like them both a lot. Has anyone heard them both? It looks to me like the Obsidian is a lot more woofer.

From what I can tell it looks like it's between the SD2.5 and the Obsidian. I like them both a lot. Has anyone heard them both? It looks to me like the Obsidian is a lot more woofer.
yes i have heard both. honestly IMO either one of should be fine. idk how much the osidian can actually take tho

Up it $20 and get a skar vvx15 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
if he upped it to that price he could just build the tc and have a better woofer.

yes i have heard both. honestly IMO either one of should be fine. idk how much the osidian can actually take tho
it will take that 1k all day as long as its clean.

I'm gonna go for the Obsidian. Set my gains low and watch it closely.. Thanks for the help.

After some thought I think one of the main causes for the Lanzar frying was the level knob I had for my amp. It wasn't a gain knob but bass boost. I've since unhooked it but I think that was what distorted my signal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.