Need Sub Suggestion for .32 cu.ft Enclosure

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi folks,

Car audio newb here - need a subwoofer suggestion for a "custom" small enclosure in a Jeep XJ;

Jeep Subwoofer & Speaker Boxes - Jeep Cherokee Sub Box | SubThump

Its pretty small, much smaller than I have used before. The mounting depth is not as much of an issue, but I already have an amp (an Alpine MRV-m500) which will will do 500x1 @ 2 ohms. Probably a bit overpowered for my goals;

Number of subs preferred: 1

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 10" or 8"

Budget: $175

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): Alpine MRV-M500; 500x1 @ 2 ohms

Space available (take measurements, do not guess): .32 CU-FT

Goals: A solid budget setup, not looking to set records or anything

Listening habits: Rap, Electronica (house mostly), and lots of Rock too

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: No preferred brand really

Its a trail rig too, so I am not looking to drop tons of coin on it, MAX budget of $175 but the cheaper the better

One sub that looked like it might fit the bill was a Skar VD-10

https://www.amazon.com/Skar-Audio-VD-10-D2-Subwoofer/dp/B016IH8Z8C

But it also looks like it got sub-optimal reviews in some cases. And the recommend enclosure size is double what mine is....

So really, I am looking for something with a mounting depth of 5.25" or 6" (with a 3/4" spacer), and that will work well with a TINY .32 cu.ft enclosure. Any advice??

Hi folks,Car audio newb here - need a subwoofer suggestion for a "custom" small enclosure in a Jeep XJ;

Jeep Subwoofer & Speaker Boxes - Jeep Cherokee Sub Box | SubThump

Its pretty small, much smaller than I have used before. The mounting depth is not as much of an issue, but I already have an amp (an Alpine MRV-m500) which will will do 500x1 @ 2 ohms. Probably a bit overpowered for my goals;

Number of subs preferred: 1

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 10" or 8"

Budget: $175

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): Alpine MRV-M500; 500x1 @ 2 ohms

Space available (take measurements, do not guess): .32 CU-FT

Goals: A solid budget setup, not looking to set records or anything

Listening habits: Rap, Electronica (house mostly), and lots of Rock too

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: No preferred brand really

Its a trail rig too, so I am not looking to drop tons of coin on it, MAX budget of $175 but the cheaper the better

One sub that looked like it might fit the bill was a Skar VD-10

https://www.amazon.com/Skar-Audio-VD-10-D2-Subwoofer/dp/B016IH8Z8C

But it also looks like it got sub-optimal reviews in some cases. And the recommend enclosure size is double what mine is....

So really, I am looking for something with a mounting depth of 5.25" or 6" (with a 3/4" spacer), and that will work well with a TINY .32 cu.ft enclosure. Any advice??
a 10 is out of the question bud. Space makes bass, no way you are gonna put a 10 in a .32 cube box and expect good results.

your best bet

https://www.amazon.com/SD-2-D4-Sundown-4-Ohms-Subwoofer/dp/B00EVZLMU2/ref=sr_1_1?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1470781044&sr=1-1&keywords=sd3+8

Remember, the sub takes up space as well so your .32 cube is more like .25 cubes. Dont worry about the power rating, that sub can handle 600 watts easy.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I know the enclosure is not ideal for making max SQ or SPL, but unfortunately my Jeep is a thief magnet //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

My original setup was an Image Dynamics IDQ 10D2 which got stolen, and my second setup was an Alpine Type R-10in on a US Amps Merlin M3D which also got stolen even though I bolted it down through the floor (they basically just smashed the box).

I now have really dark tint (had NO tint before and all my gear was just out on display), and I figure getting a stealth-type box and hiding everything as best as I can, not bumping music around my house or where I work (broken into at both locations) might help a bit.

That Sundown SA-8 looks like a really good bet, im not too worried about the amp because I can always turn the gain down and tune the system to eliminate clipping of any sort, or over excursion.

Would adding some sort of a grille be the worst thing I can do? (so I can spray-paint and color match to the interior to make it even less visible)

Everyone tells me not to do it, but I was pondering getting something like this, and going to the fabric store to get some polyester stretchy style stuff similar to my interior color and cutting out the metal grill to replace with the fabric.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
I know the enclosure is not ideal for making max SQ or SPL, but unfortunately my Jeep is a thief magnet //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

My original setup was an Image Dynamics IDQ 10D2 which got stolen, and my second setup was an Alpine Type R-10in on a US Amps Merlin M3D which also got stolen even though I bolted it down through the floor (they basically just smashed the box).

I now have really dark tint (had NO tint before and all my gear was just out on display), and I figure getting a stealth-type box and hiding everything as best as I can, not bumping music around my house or where I work (broken into at both locations) might help a bit.

That Sundown SA-8 looks like a really good bet, im not too worried about the amp because I can always turn the gain down and tune the system to eliminate clipping of any sort, or over excursion.

Would adding some sort of a grille be the worst thing I can do? (so I can spray-paint and color match to the interior to make it even less visible)

Everyone tells me not to do it, but I was pondering getting something like this, and going to the fabric store to get some polyester stretchy style stuff similar to my interior color and cutting out the metal grill to replace with the fabric.
use speaker cloth

Speaker Grill Cloth & Fabric in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 319

And its not the SA 8 its the SD3-8 Dont fk that part up or else its not gonna fit.

Not trying to hijack your thread Waffles but, I was looking at that sub for the subthump box. It's the only one I could find that needed that small of space. I was going to ask if I used some polyfil would this 10 would work? SD3 SERIES It needs 0.4 ft^3 or if I should just stick with the SD-2 8 D4?

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.