Need Speakers/Amp Help with Tube Stereo

Participant count
  • Participant list

peterw7

CarAudio.com Newbie
USA
I need help selecting 2 (upto 6.5") front, 2 (upto 6.5") rear speakers and an amplifier(s) for a small convertible car.
Sound deadening and vibration dampening material has been placed in key locations.
There's so many options and the more I research the more lost I get so need some solid recommendations. Thanks!
Starting point being a Panasonic CQ-TX5500 Tube Stereo.

I like my music balanced with nice mids and highs. I'm not a fan of super loud bass but I do want good, solid lows.
Budget of around.. $400-500
Thinking component speakers would be good.
JBL GTO 609c for the front doors since I have a factory tweeter location to mount them.
JBL 629 or Rockford Fosgate T1650-S for the rear deck behind the seats.

And a 4channel amp with around 75-100W RMS at maxV (atleast 40-50W at 12V would be nice). The new Alpine MRV-F300, Planet Audio AC1200/AC1600 amps seem to be highly rated.
I've been checking out the older ones too like the Phoenix Gold and Alpine MRV-F400s (40W at 12V) or F505 (50W at 12V)
I can get amps from Japan as well if something retro from there is a good option.

Edit: oh the jbl speakers seem to be 92db at 2W. so I practically need only... around 16W RMS on the amp to get my speakers to uncomfortable levels of sound? 102db *enlightenment* the full 40W would only be needed for a speaker with a much lower sensitivity?

the more you learn.. is the above correct? I likely use only around 94db usually so I shouldn't even be thinking about the constant/max wattages...?
more RMS rating just means the speaker can get louder but the higher speaker sensitivity means the speaker needs less wattage to achieve a certain volume? 100W on a 92db/2W speaker would be over 110db of chaos?
and we can't simply wire the 4 speakers to the 2 channel panasonic because the total impedance would be over 4ohms. and wiring in series would overcomplicate it and make the panasonic run at max output constantly

So I would actually be better off with an old school rockford fosgate punch or phoenix gold that puts out around 20-40W RMS? just so the amp is never running at full capacity

Last edited:
no point getting a tube deck if the amps arent

id get a modern quality deck, some good speakers up front and a good amp

Dynaudio speakers and an Arc amp would be sweet

I need help selecting 2 (upto 6.5") front, 2 (upto 6.5") rear speakers and an amplifier(s) for a small convertible car.
Sound deadening and vibration dampening material has been placed in key locations.
There's so many options and the more I research the more lost I get so need some solid recommendations. Thanks!
Starting point being a Panasonic CQ-TX5500 Tube Stereo.

I like my music balanced with nice mids and highs. I'm not a fan of super loud bass but I do want good, solid lows.
Budget of around.. $400-500
Thinking component speakers would be good.
JBL GTO 609c for the front doors since I have a factory tweeter location to mount them.
JBL 629 or Rockford Fosgate T1650-S for the rear deck behind the seats.

And a 4channel amp with around 75-100W RMS at maxV (atleast 40-50W at 12V would be nice). The new Alpine MRV-F300, Planet Audio AC1200/AC1600 amps seem to be highly rated.
I've been checking out the older ones too like the Phoenix Gold and Alpine MRV-F400s (40W at 12V) or F505 (50W at 12V)
I can get amps from Japan as well if something retro from there is a good option.

Edit: oh the jbl speakers seem to be 92db at 2W. so I practically need only... around 16W RMS on the amp to get my speakers to uncomfortable levels of sound? 102db *enlightenment* the full 40W would only be needed for a speaker with a much lower sensitivity?

the more you learn.. is the above correct? I likely use only around 94db usually so I shouldn't even be thinking about the constant/max wattages...?
more RMS rating just means the speaker can get louder but the higher speaker sensitivity means the speaker needs less wattage to achieve a certain volume? 100W on a 92db/2W speaker would be over 110db of chaos?
and we can't simply wire the 4 speakers to the 2 channel panasonic because the total impedance would be over 4ohms. and wiring in series would overcomplicate it and make the panasonic run at max output constantly

So I would actually be better off with an old school rockford fosgate punch or phoenix gold that puts out around 20-40W RMS? just so the amp is never running at full capacity

View attachment 22793

Get yourself a nice bluetooth HD headunit. Those JBL components should would work fine. A Pioneer 9704 should work good for you. Just adjust the gains to your liking.

Last edited:
JBL GTO 609c
I've used those components and previous versions a lot and they're fantastic for the money. Really I've never been disappointed with Harmon International (JBL/Infinity/Harmon/Crown) products. They likely have an amp that'll suit your needs and perform as advertised as well.

Love those old Panasonic tube decks too, they're super sexy. Be aware you'll probably get better sound out of something modern (solid state technology has come a very long way) but that's a nice showoff piece for sure.

I currently have a Kenwood unit with a bluetooth adapter.
Figured I would switch it up to something a little cooler. I'm not tooo concerned about sound quality since it isn't a quiet car. as long as it's clear and crisp and loud enough to drown out road sounds.

I just got myself a Phoenix Gold M44 for an amp. heard good things about it so fingers crossed.

For speakers, I was also recommended the JL Audio 650s. the C1 seems comparable to the JBL but there's definitely a slight difference in the C2 and big clarity improvement in the C3, C5 based on crutchfield audio tests.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.