Need Some Sub Suggestions!

Not sure I can realy push two of those with out some good electrical first... thats kinda why I was thinkin four SA 8s since then Id could stay around that 1500 watt range
You can push 100000 of them if you want. The more you push, the less of their total capacity you will be using, but you WILL be putting out more bass with more subwoofers, even with the same power. It's more efficient to have your sound coming from more cone area.

Going for 8s because of lack of power is... well, stupid. You will get FAR less output from them, even if you're using relatively more of their power capacity. Look at the sensitivity of 8s... way lower. Way less cone area, way less efficient.

For output capability, you want:

a) Make sure what you pick can handle your amp

b) Look for the most displacement (Vd)

c) Look for the highest sensitivity, make sure it's measured in the same unit as some are 1W/1m and some are 2.83v/1m (which is 1w at 8 ohms, 2w at 4 ohms, 4w at 2 ohms...)

Stick your box requirement wherever in there that it should go to you.

You can push 100000 of them if you want. The more you push, the less of their total capacity you will be using, but you WILL be putting out more bass with more subwoofers, even with the same power. It's more efficient to have your sound coming from more cone area.
Going for 8s because of lack of power is... well, stupid. You will get FAR less output from them, even if you're using more of their power capacity. Look at the sensitivity of 8s... way lower. Way less cone area, way less efficient.
So one of those 12s at maybe 2000 watts is gunna get louder then lets say 4 SA 8's at or above there rms? I really dont think so but correct me cuz I may not be understanding what your saying...

Given exact same sensitivity and specs other than size of woofers....yes 2 12's will put out more because they have more cone area.

4 8's though will put out more than 1 12.

Comparing 1 12 to 4 8s is not quite fair. CHEMMINS, it doesn't matter what the power handling of the sub is, as long as it's equal to or greater than the power it will be receiving. Otherwise, sensitivity and Vd (Vd is comprised of Sd (cone area) and Xmax (linear excursion), for those who don't know). Trying to find a subwoofer rated for exactly/close to the power you will be giving it is not necessary.

SA-8 sensitivity: 78dB

N3 sensitivity: 91dB

2xSA-8 = 78dB+3dB = 81dB

2x2xSA-8 = 84dB+3dB = 84dB

Actually, one N3 WILL beat 4xSA-8. By a LOT. You'll need about 16 SA-8s to equal a single N3 watt-for-watt. For maximum output (assuming we hit Xmax before we hit power limits), compare Vd; I don't have the specs for that offhand, but it's just Sd * Xmax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.