Need some Opinons on amp set up.

Participant count
  • Participant list

curtisftracing
10+ year member

I am running two sets of Rainbow SLC 265.25 Kick NG 6.5" Component Set's running off a Hifonics ZXI8408 amplifier. I was wondering if that is why it seems the speakers don't sound as good as I feel they should? I mean they sound loud but not really perfectly clear, now would getting a Alpine 4.100 amp be a way better set up? Is there any other amps that you would recommend for my set up? Any opinions about my set up or what the best set up would be will be well appreciated thanks.

I am running two sets of Rainbow SLC 265.25 Kick NG 6.5" Component Set's running off a Hifonics ZXI8408 amplifier. I was wondering if that is why it seems the speakers don't sound as good as I feel they should? I mean they sound loud but not really perfectly clear, now would getting a Alpine 4.100 amp be a way better set up? Is there any other amps that you would recommend for my set up? Any opinions about my set up or what the best set up would be will be well appreciated thanks.
what's the settings on the amp? Perhaps you have them crossed at the not so optimal level.

That amp seems pretty well matched to the speakers. Where are the sets positioned and how are they aimed. Extra sets will get you louder but at the same time can obscure some of the information that will affect your perception of clarity. I would imagine this can lead to phase cancellation and imaging issues.

Yea I have it so two of the mid's are on the door's and the tweeters are on the column of window's. Then in the back on the top are the two tweeters in the middle then on the outside are the mid bass's? Here is my set up I did it in photoshop lol.

setup.jpg

Yea I have it so two of the mid's are on the door's and the tweeters are on the column of window's. Then in the back on the top are the two tweeters in the middle then on the outside are the mid bass's? Here is my set up I did it in photoshop lol.
setup.jpg
So that's high powered components for rear fill and if I'm not mistaken it looks like they're mounted to the rear deck??? No wonder it doesn't sound good. You could improve on that ALOT and it would cost you almost nothing.

It does sound good just seems like the tweeters over power a lot. Why is it not good to have high power components in the rear deck? And how come? What would you recommend?

If you listen to real music (not rap) that involves vocals and instruments, the goal is to reproduce it like it's happening on the dashboard in front of you. Any rear fill should be subtly felt but not heard. What you have in the rear is akin to going to a live concert, turning to face away from the stage, then lying flat on your face facing in the opposite direction. Excessive highs are probably caused because you have too many of the most directional frequencies your speakers are producing coming from everywhere all around you at once and getting to you before the rest of the frequency range arrives. Mounting stuff on the rear tray firing at the roof or rear windshield is also probably causing all sorts of unpredictable reflections and phasing issues that are obscuring the details of your music.

Ditch the rears completely but leave them in place for the time being. Bridge the four channel to the fronts and be conservative with the gain, give them somewhere between 150 and 180 watts. See what that does for you.

I am running two sets of Rainbow SLC 265.25 Kick NG 6.5" Component Set's running off a Hifonics ZXI8408 amplifier. I was wondering if that is why it seems the speakers don't sound as good as I feel they should? I mean they sound loud but not really perfectly clear,

but

It does sound good just seems like the tweeters over power a lot.

Which is it?

I run rear fill too but you'd never be able to tell by listening and I'm still thinking of getting rid of it. I do cheap coaxias high passed at 125 off whatever the head unit makes.

Just saying, your lookin for a stronger amp, and you're saying you're having issues with the clarity. All you'll get for your money is more of the same, but louder. Your issues can probably be resolved in large part by yanking the rear deck components, bridging the amp to the fronts, and checking your tuning at little no cost to you. Better to go that route first before deciding if you want to pony up for more amp.

**** I wish I would of known about this before I would of bought a more expensive set of components for the front //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Well what if I disconnected the rear tweeters and left the mid's in the back would that make it solve part of the issue I think the main problem is the tweeters getting so darn ear piercing.

Only you can know whether trying this might sound good to you. I can't tell you what sounds good to you or what doesn't, I can only suggest possible explanations for what you've already decided you don't like.

Yea I know what you mean. To explain more what I am talking about it seems like it is hard for me to get different types of music to sound right rap, and techno sound perfect but rock it seems like it is not as clear. I donno it might just be that stuff is not adjusted correct because my friend adjusted the amp to the sound of rap..... so that does not help me when I listen to rock also. Audio is a pain to get adjusted right :/

Im starting to think I should of probally got coaxials for the back instead of a full component set and it would of been cheaper. That is the way my car was set up at first with the Rockford Fosgate system it came with from factory. I just did not do enough research about it first.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.