Need Some Help!!!

Originally posted by psychofactor
If you don't get the whining that I'm talking about and you only here a hiss. Try this.

Turn your vloume down. Turn your Amp gains down. Then turn your Head unit volume up as load as you can without Distortion. Then turn your AMP Gain up little by little till you start to here a little distortion than back it of an 1/8 of a turn.
here is the best way to SET your gains: Get a scope a test CD that has test tracks of 0dB sine waves and -10dB sine waves for all AMPs. So if you had a bass and a mid and high AMP you need bass tracks and midrange tracks . Play the 0dB tracks turn up your HU until the HU clips then back off untill it doesn't. move to the next processor and do the same. Do this all the way down the line of the signal chain. When you get to the AMPs you either can set the AMPs gain at 3-1 overlap OR a 10dB overlap. For a 3-1 you set the amp for 1/3 of the last processors RCA output. For a 10dB overlap you play the sine wave for that AMP in the -10dB recorded track and turn the gain [while reading the scope] up untill the AMP clips then back off.

Dude are you on crack?

There is alway power from your Battery to your Amp. Whether it is in use or not. As long as it is connect to a power source there is juice!

So therefore, yes you can get noise if your Power lines are right next to your RCA's(If you have cheep RCA's or Unshielded units!!! I recommend Streetwires.3.0 or better!!!

A VERY BIG AND NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE!!!!

As far as Power wires go. I also Recommend Streetwires 4guage. Nothing less from the Battery to the Fuse block. Then maybe 8 guage out of the Blocks. Alway use the same guage wire for everything. 4 guage from battery to Block, 4 guage Ground to block, 8 guage out of blocks to amps. Don't mix and match. I recommend Streetwires because they use Silver Braided Wire and have the least resistance.

Getting a scope is great. But, not everyone has access to one or even knows how to use it. So my way is the next best thing for beginners.

Just turn everything down then turn up th ehead unit until it clips, if it doesn't then turn it up to the best sounding volume. Then adjust your gain unit it starts to clip or until you get it to the max volume you will listen to then back off 1/8th turn. Gets you inthe ball park.

Originally posted by psychofactor Dude are you on crack?
Let us see who really is
There is alway power from your Battery to your Amp. Whether it is in use or not. As long as it is connect to a power source there is juice!
POWER = VOLTS x AMPS, Yes there is voltage no not much CURRENT at all. this means that the magnetic field would be very very small. If you think that the power wire can induct noise into the system what about the ground??? How do you keep your RCAs away from the ground?? Kind of hard to avoid the ground when it's the whole car.
So therefore, yes you can get noise if your Power lines are right next to your RCA's(If you have cheep RCA's or Unshielded units!!! I recommend Streetwires.3.0 or better!!!

A VERY BIG AND NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE!!!!
I bet that in a blind test you couldn't pick the expensive RCAs over the cheap ones
Just turn everything down then turn up th ehead unit until it clips, if it doesn't then turn it up to the best sounding volume. Then adjust your gain unit it starts to clip or until you get it to the max volume you will listen to then back off 1/8th turn. Gets you inthe ball park. [/b]
How would you know its clipping without a scope cause you cann't hear an amp clipping untill it's really bad

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.