Need some help on if my amp is burnt out or not.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ksan
10+ year member

Dodge HEMI
I was drivining home from work about a week ago and my subs began to play very low powered with a fuzzy sound to them.. So I began to track wiring down and I found out that the post on my Battery was VERY loose and it will not tighten back down (Worn out) I've ordered a new post because it is the three way connector that connects two amps and the 1/0 big three wire from my ALT. I did work with it and have gotten it to tighten down some but still needs to be replaced just waiting on part from mail.

The thing is now the amp is still doing the weak fuzzy sound to the subs but it is not going into protect mode. I've unhooked it all now in hopes of not doing any more damage but I think it may be to late from low power draw. What do you guys think? The amp is a 1200.1 Image dynamic's and the sub's are 12" IDQ. Any info you need I will provide. How should I proceed to find out where the problem is really at? Thank you very much for your time and help.

Last edited by a moderator:
your amp is probably fine, just cant get the current it needs. ive had a loose terminal do this before. get a proper tight connection and it'll probably be fixed.

if the amp powers on and doesnt protect then it's likely fine - although ive seen some powerbass amps completely lose the output stage while appearing normal.

Take the cover off the amp and look for burn marks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's only a very few things that can be wrong that you can actually see, and "blown" MOSFETs don't actually look burned probably over 90% of the time anyway. OP. Don't waste your time looking in the amp. Unless smoke was rolling out of it the odds of you noticing something physically are about nil.

your amp is probably fine, just cant get the current it needs. ive had a loose terminal do this before. get a proper tight connection and it'll probably be fixed.
if the amp powers on and doesnt protect then it's likely fine - although ive seen some powerbass amps completely lose the output stage while appearing normal.
Agreed. Once your connections are tight things will probably work OK. If not troubleshoot elsewhere.

Thanks guy's, Very much appreciate the help. No smoke it just started the fuzzy weak sound and the connection was badly loose. I'll wait and fix that when the parts come in and then go from there. My equipment is starting to show it's age so it is time I go through the whole thing and replace worn out parts so this stuff doesn't happen again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.