Need some advice for my new system.

The 15 vs 18 just depends. One18 you loose a little in cone area but a **** ton cheaper say 3500 watts on a fully upgraded 18 vs 6k watts on 2 15s. The power needed and upgrade for the two 15s would not be worth the few dbs you will gain. I'd do one 18

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

And a much smaller box

Honestly, I just want a lot more power to my system. I love how JL's sound, they have a smooth bass, I've heard american bass and its kind of rough bass. I was considering DC at first then AA then DD. I honestly want a system that hits hard af (for when I wanna show it off) and also has SQ at least close to my JLs. I listen to Decaf a lot, so that was why I originally wanted to tune super low, but with some thought I was thinking more like 28Hz would be sufficient, I much prefer having heavy hitting lows and not as much high. I've been considering the AA SMD Series 15".
Yea then Fi would be a great choice since you love those lows so much. AA is also a good choice as it's from the same company. These subs are heavy on the lows and would be suited towards the 28 hz tune IMO. Wait till Black Friday, they always have a deal going on.

What's your max dimensions you're willing to give up? L x H x W. That way we can determine what size woofer can fit in your trunk.

I agree, Sp4 for sure. Low end monster that will scare your passengers out of their seats lol. Be prepared to sound deaden the $hit out of your car if you're gonna go through with this type of setup.

2 15" Sp4's would need about 8-10 cubes net. 1 18" would need about 6-8 cubes net.

I agree, Sp4 for sure. Low end monster that will scare your passengers out of their seats lol. Be prepared to sound deaden the $hit out of your car if you're gonna go through with this type of setup.
2 15" Sp4's would need about 8-10 cubes net. 1 18" would need about 6-8 cubes net.
I'll look into how much space I got, I dont actually have my car atm, its in the shop. I was gonna have my local shop literally line everything they can with sound deadner. Speaking of which, good sound deadner? I've heard a lot good on second skin, but DD has the EA3.0, it looks really good as well. Thoughts?

I'll look into how much space I got, I dont actually have my car atm, its in the shop. I was gonna have my local shop literally line everything they can with sound deadner. Speaking of which, good sound deadner? I've heard a lot good on second skin, but DD has the EA3.0, it looks really good as well. Thoughts?
I personally love my second skin.. I wouldn't use anything else but that's just me. They're super rigid and heavy for its thickness. I also like the black look and the perfect flat sheets instead of rolls. Easy to work with, no smell, no crazy sticky residue like many other brands. I'm not very familiar with the DD product but I'm sure it's good too. I would wait till Black Friday as I'm sure they'll all go on sale.

Honestly, I just want a lot more power to my system. I love how JL's sound, they have a smooth bass, I've heard american bass and its kind of rough bass. I was considering DC at first then AA then DD. I honestly want a system that hits hard af (for when I wanna show it off) and also has SQ at least close to my JLs. I listen to Decaf a lot, so that was why I originally wanted to tune super low, but with some thought I was thinking more like 28Hz would be sufficient, I much prefer having heavy hitting lows and not as much high. I've been considering the AA SMD Series 15".
27-28hz is where you wanna tune at. Your box will need to be BIG like Oversized BIG. While they are doing the deadener, you might want to tell them to brace your roof with 1/2 plywood and spray foam any other areas that might flex or rattle. Doing it with second skin only will get extremely expensive when you get to your 3rd layer. The roof flexing from the lows will be the thing that drags your system's output down the most. I braced my roof and my output skyrocketed and I got a lot more cleaner sounding lows out of it.

First off dd has never been considered even remotely as a sq sub. If you buy one at a time. That will depend on how long it takes to get the second sub Only issue would be one is broke in the other is not. As far as amp the dd m4a is what you want. But even that amp won't move a pair of 99 subs well. 2 amps will. Also tuned at 22 hertz is really low maybe to low for dd subs. And you'll need a monster electrical system to back that
Didnt even realize he was trying to compare sq

And on-top of that, this is going into an 05' Monte Carlo, so I have a limited amount of space, which is why I have also been considering just getting 1 18 and calling it a day. No sure which would be better as either way I'm working with limited trunk space.
If you want SQ and SPL from a single 18 get an RE XXX18 either 04 or 05 model...before the new Chinese crap ...

If you want SQ and SPL from a single 18 get an RE XXX18 either 04 or 05 model...before the new Chinese crap ...
That Fs is low af. How much does a super low Fs (15.6 on the XXX) affect the 25-40Hz. It's kinda hard to describe what I want as I'm still a total newbie. I do like the sp4, it seems to cater to what I like, although I dunno how the SQ on it is tho. I do want some SQ, I don't want a thundercloud in my trunk, I love how JL has clean bass. Would I seriously need roof bracing for just a single 18?

Also, I just looked online. According to what it says I have about 15.8 cu/ft in my trunk. Couldn't find dimensions.

Also, I just looked online. According to what it says I have about 15.8 cu/ft in my trunk. Couldn't find dimensions.
No, you have to actually use a measuring tape.. Just because you have 15.8 cu ft, doesn't mean the box will calculate to that.. You should have plenty to put 2 15's though if u want.. and besides, you have to account for displacement of port, sub, walls, bracing...

That Fs is low af. How much does a super low Fs (15.6 on the XXX) affect the 25-40Hz. It's kinda hard to describe what I want as I'm still a total newbie. I do like the sp4, it seems to cater to what I like, although I dunno how the SQ on it is tho. I do want some SQ, I don't want a thundercloud in my trunk, I love how JL has clean bass. Would I seriously need roof bracing for just a single 18?
Well, SQ is based on transient response so a Sp4 and oldschool XXX can certainly sound great but of course it's subjective. It will all be based on enclosure in how you want it to sound..It will never sound like a JL because it's not.. From my experience, JL's have a unique sound like no other.. it's just overpriced for what it is.. You're gonna need a couple of 13w7's to compete in output with either of the mentioned subs. Fi in general has nice soft parts so it sounds really smooth actually, it's just very bottom heavy because it's made that way.. Since you said you like the heavy lows and not so much midbass, then it would be a good fit for you.

It's very possible that you need roof bracing for a single 18 especially if you're giving it full power and in a huge enclosure..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.