Need help with system.

I think you should convey this to your friend so a strong sense reality is maintained. Companies like Alpine and Infinity only have so much budgeted for sponsorships. He might get lucky. But on the flip side he will have to meet contractual obligations of plastering decals and stickers all over his car and making x amount of show appearances anually. If he can not meet these obligations, he might risk losing all the products or have to pay for them (which from the sound of it is something he's willing to anyway).

Just some friendly advice and food for thought. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I will tell him. Actually we are going today to get a quote on some fiberglassing from a buddy of mine.

He has always said he would more than happily go to the car shows and the stickers are not a problem. I had always thought the traveling and having to spend the money on traveling would get outageous. So its almost not worth it, you can either spend the money that you would have spent on the equipment on gas to get to all of those shows or go ahead and spend it on the equipment and not have to travel all the time.

/epitome

The budet line of Rainbow comps don't hold a candle to the Type X and F#1 Status comps, imo. Many will disagree with me, because Rainbow is one of the forum boners right now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
That wasnt ment to be worded like that. Rainbows budget line i.e. their soundlines have amazing sound for their price. Dollar for Dollar, Alpine cant hold a candle to Rainbow. I have personally tested all the Alpine components and Rainbows except their Reference ( which is actually coming next week), and to my ears and numerous others, the census is Rainbow all the way.

That wasnt ment to be worded like that. Rainbows budget line i.e. their soundlines have amazing sound for their price. Dollar for Dollar, Alpine cant hold a candle to Rainbow. I have personally tested all the Alpine components and Rainbows except their Reference ( which is actually coming next week), and to my ears and numerous others, the census is Rainbow all the way.
I can agree with that, hence is why I stated in my post "IMO". The way speakers sound is all subjective, afterall.

If you were to go all one brand, Alpine is probably the way to go. But he shouldn't count on getting a sponsership.

As for Eclipse, having owned their old ones, I don't find that there's much of an "SQ" difference and found it vastly inferior the Alpine I later replaced it with. In addition, most (I noticed they changed this on their lower models) don't have removable faceplates. They feature "ESN" security, which means that if it's stolen in the first year, Eclipse will replace the deck. After that, you're screwed. There is a keylocking/serial number system that's supposed to help you get the deck back, but there's a fat chance of that happening.

I never understood that: Yes, the thief gets a useless deck, but you're still out a stereo. And its not like the thief is going to mail it back to you. He'll probably throw it in the trash. My brother's Eclipse was stolen. Still no sign of it 4 years later. ESN is pretty much the dumbest idea in car stereo. I'd avoid Eclipse altogether.

If you want to go the featureless, "all-out SQ" route, get a Denon or a Clarion 9 series and at least have something exclusive.

Pioneer Premier might also be worth considering for a one-brand solution.

Yeah that ESN security doesnt sound worth a dime.

So your saying the Alpines have better SQ than Eclipse?

And I can almost garuntee he wont go with an all Premier system

"SQ" doesn't come from your head unit. Buy the headunit that has the best selection of features and appearance that meet your needs, i.e. crossovers, addons (satellite radio, iPod, nav, etc), time alignment, and whatever other soundprocessing features you are looking for.

"SQ" comes from speaker selection and good install -- not amps, head units, and wiring.

I think of all the one-brand companies, Alpine's Type-X speakers are far and away the best, so if you're really stuck on going one-brand, and you want good SQ, I'd go to the brand that makes the best drivers. That is Alpine. Their amps and head-units aren't bad, either (though individually, there is better).

Look at the Polk SRs, similar tweeter based on the Vifa XT ring-dome radiator as the Type-X. Different mid, but the depth is a bit easier, if I recall correctly. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Look at the Polk SRs, similar tweeter based on the Vifa XT ring-dome radiator as the Type-X. Different mid, but the depth is a bit easier, if I recall correctly. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The budet line of Rainbow comps don't hold a candle to the Type X and F#1 Status comps, imo. Many will disagree with me, because Rainbow is one of the forum boners right now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
I have owned both and I can confidently say that the rainbow slc's sound better then the type x's by a lot...imo the type x's sound like poo, think infinity refrence...(Ive owned two sets)...the f#1 is a different story though....

ohh and imo he should get the best he can afford and not worry about brands...all brands have there strong products and weaker products..if your interested I have a set of rainbow Germaniums forsale....pm me if interested...

I have owned both and I can confidently say that the rainbow slc's sound better then the type x's by a lot...imo the type x's sound like poo,
Again, this is subject to what each of us want out of our speakers.

I was fortunate enough to audition many component sets before settling on the Type X. I never found a local dealer with the X's on demo, but I did run across a guy with a set in his Accord that I got to listen to. I wasn't looking for a necessarily loud speaker (although the Type X's with 100w rms per side can get loud), I was looking for good presence of midbass, smooth and nonharsh tweets, and a very natural sound emittance. Not to forget that the passive xovers included are some of the most versatile on the market regardless of price range.

For a budget up to about $200, it's my opinion that there is no greater comp set than the Type X's for fulfilling the desire for superb SQ. This is going to depend and vary on the intall, however.

Now, if one can extend that budget by around $100 and is looking for profoundly sweet midbass, then I'd be so inclined to say the SLC 265 Kick's would be the better option, IMO.

Ok, thanks for all the help. BTW, what are the SLC 265s??

Is that Kicker?

And the way you described the Type-Xs, they sound like just the comps I need. Although again the depth is holding me back. They are too deep by .8", but Im sure I could get a baffle made of mdf and they would clear just fine. Still, my door panel worries me because there is a grill in front of the speaker.

Ok, thanks for all the help. BTW, what are the SLC 265s?? Is that Kicker?

And the way you described the Type-Xs, they sound like just the comps I need. Although again the depth is holding me back. They are too deep by .8", but Im sure I could get a baffle made of mdf and they would clear just fine. Still, my door panel worries me because there is a grill in front of the speaker.
Nope, the SLC 265's are Rainbow.

And if you can fit the Type X's in there with a baffle, awesome.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.