Need Help with popping noise.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Max_034

I don't know if this is the right place but I hope it is. So my problem. I installed a head unit with a monoblock amp and 2 subs. Everything was fine. About 3 months later I installed 4 aftermarket speakers and a 4 channel amp with new wiring. Everything worked fine for like 3 months and then 2 channels died, one at a time(it was refurbished). So I replaced the amp with a new one. Again everything was fine for about 3 months and now weird things started to happen. Out of nowhere my sound system started to make a loud popping noise through all speakers. The noise is random and doesn't happen all the time. Also sometimes the music will completely stop playing after the noise. One time after the popping noise, the music stopped playing, and like 30 seconds later it started popping repeatedly and I had to turn off the car. Ive also notices that it is more likely to happen after a hot day, but I also experienced it today during the night, so I don't know. Any ideas?

could be failure of the HU or amplifier. since it seems to be heat related - it's not uncommon.
Thanks for the help, I was thinking along the same lines. After hearing it again I'm guessing it's the heads it since both the speakers and sub stop playing. Do you know how long should head units last? I live in California and the high temperatures rarely reach 100 during the summer. When the problem started, it was around 75 outside.

Thanks for the help, I was thinking along the same lines. After hearing it again I'm guessing it's the heads it since both the speakers and sub stop playing. Do you know how long should head units last? I live in California and the high temperatures rarely reach 100 during the summer. When the problem started, it was around 75 outside.
I've had head units last 20 years. I've also seen head units fail after a couple years. I run Alpine I've had the best luck with their products over the past twenty years or so. Up until 2 years ago I ran a head unit built in 1996

Rich V.

I've had head units last 20 years. I've also seen head units fail after a couple years. I run Alpine I've had the best luck with their products over the past twenty years or so. Up until 2 years ago I ran a head unit built in 1996
Rich V.
Thanks once again. My head unit didn't even last the year, I guess it was a bad one and since I didn't buy it from an authorized retailer it doesn't have a warranty. I already ordered a new one with extended warranty, not buying without a warranty anymore too many things have failed.

Thanks for the info.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.