Need help with custom vented box for 12" sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

Aygodriver1212

Senior VIP Member
Amsterdam
Hello guys,

I figured I'd make a new thread since the old one was just bumping the entire time and it went off topic.

With some help I chose for this subwoofer: GZTW 30TX

If you have a better sub to recommend at a price range of around 100 to 150 euro's please do recommend it first.

The T/S parameters of my current choice are right here;

http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/components/com_jshopping/files/demo_products/GZTW_TX_19042010_GZTW_38TX.pdf

http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/components/com_jshopping/files/demo_products/GZTW_30TX.pdf

I want to create a ported enclosure, bass-reflex pipe port preferred (I have a few ones available

you can find them down in the thread). As my name says, I have an Aygo. So I have limited space.

I took a new look at my trunk and re-measured. Seems I can fit a wedged shape box with these max outer dimensions. I think the width should be a variable since that's the biggest value here and the easiest to alter. I'm planning on using 18mm MDF, in inches that's about 0.7" I believe.

maxininches2.png

Can anybody help me calculate a box or even calculate one for me?

I'm looking to tune it to about 32 hz since I listen to a lot of hip-hop.

Different port sizes I have available right now are:

Ø 2" - adjustable length: min 5.9" - max 11"

Ø 2.5" - max length: 7.5"

Ø 2.6" - adjustable length: min 5" - max 9.6"

Ø 2.95" - max length: 4.7"

Ø 4" - max length: 4.5"

Of course I wish to reduce port noise as much as possible. Again, I've tried WinISD and it's just not

working out for me. No clue what I'm doing wrong...

I HOPE you can help me.

Thanks!

you just dont have enough dimensions to fit a proper port unless you go side port or if you up fire, it'll go up higher past your boot space.
So could you calculate a fitting box? I'm fine with a port that side fires even though it's not optimal.

I'm also fine with anything between 32 en 34 hz.

I'd be so gratheful if you could.

As I said side firing isn't that big of an issue to me as long as it

doesn't cause major port noise.

wa2I0.jpg

here's a design with square port on the corner. As long as the port per cube is 12-16, you should not have any port noise.

However I'd really strongly advise against tuning to 32hz. For normal rap and hip hop, i'd go with 34 to 36 hz. 32hz is when you want to listen to songs that play down to the 25hz range and extremely rare to have any hip hop artist has anything that goes that low. With a weaker woofer like this, you are just gonna get sh*t overall output with 32hz tuning

wa2I0.jpg

here's a design with square port on the corner. As long as the port per cube is 12-16, you should not have any port noise.

However I'd really strongly advise against tuning to 32hz. For normal rap and hip hop, i'd go with 34 to 36 hz. 32hz is when you want to listen to songs that play down to the 25hz range and extremely rare to have any hip hop artist has anything that goes that low. With a weaker woofer like this, you are just gonna get sh*t overall output with 32hz tuning
Aight thanks for the example.

But is it possible to calculate a round port as well?

Something with a diameter in the rang I suggested?

Test it out yourself. Just have your port area per foot at 9 to 13 for round ports and 12 to 16 for slots
Thanks so much man, I will try it out later today since I'm at work. I'd love for you to keep an eye out for this thread.

I'll post my result later today when I get the chance to. I appologize for my nooblike questions, I know I'm a pain in the ***.

wa2I0.jpg

What about the # of Common Port walls when I use a bassreflex tube?

I fill in the same stuff but somehow my numbers on the right hand seem messed up.
What the hell is this lol. I get different results filling in the same thing. @papermaker @Jeffdachef
The port area per foot is different and net / gross are in the wrong place?
I exactly copied your numbers here to start.
What the hell lol.

Edit: it also edits the square port area, makes it pretty inaccurate...

lel.png

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.