Need help with amp and subs hook up....

Participant count
  • Participant list

Blazin_98_Napto
10+ year member

I have a JL 500-1 mono amp and wanting to power to 10" Kickers with it. Question: What is the best way I should hook these up considering the speakers are 8 ohm and can handle a 2 ohm load...? How can I give them a considerate amount of power so its loud and thumps HARD but not over kill to where Im blowing my subs.... They are over 5 years old but havent really been used much... The were orginally hooked up to a Kicker Impulse 1052Si amp..., IF anyone can help please give me some info......

Im still somewhat new to this...

Appreciate it..!!!

Blazin..

If the subs are single voice coil the a 4 ohm load is the lowest that you can achieve. Which is fine because I believe the JL amps are designed to put out the same power at either 2 or 4 ohms. So wire the speakers in parellel for a 4 ohm load and bump away.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by dr. no If the subs are single voice coil the a 4 ohm load is the lowest that you can achieve. Which is fine because I believe the JL amps are designed to put out the same power at either 2 or 4 ohms. So wire the speakers in parellel for a 4 ohm load and bump away.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Same power at 2 or 4ohm rating? That is a feat! If the amp however is 2 ohm compatible and each speaker is 4ohms put them in a parallel wiring setup and run the amp at 2ohms. Typically most amps will push eaiser and more power at a 2ohm setup.

OK guys so how do I wire it down so that they are in a 2 ohm load? Pos of 1 speaker to neg of other, and the other pos and neg to the amp?? I understand much of everything else other than this... when it come to wiring and pulling different "loads" Im lost... So would it be better to run it in 4 ohm or 2 ohm? and my amp also says that it will accept "up" to 8 gauge wire for the speakers does that mean: go no lower than 8 or go no higher than 8? because I was told I could use 4 gauge wire.... So I was just wanting to make sure...

If I can get past this part I will be koo.... So keep sending the info!!

Appreciate it!

Blazin..

Originally posted by Blazin_98_Napto OK guys so how do I wire it down so that they are in a 2 ohm load? Pos of 1 speaker to neg of other, and the other pos and neg to the amp?? I understand much of everything else other than this... when it come to wiring and pulling different "loads" Im lost... So would it be better to run it in 4 ohm or 2 ohm? and my amp also says that it will accept "up" to 8 gauge wire for the speakers does that mean: go no lower than 8 or go no higher than 8? because I was told I could use 4 gauge wire.... So I was just wanting to make sure...

If I can get past this part I will be koo.... So keep sending the info!!

Appreciate it!

Blazin..
Are the speakers dual voice coil?

Yeah, I just looked @ jlaudio.com and the 500/1 puts out the same power with any ohm-load between 1.5 and 4 so it doesn't really matter.

Originally posted by dr. no Yeah, I just looked @ jlaudio.com and the 500/1 puts out the same power with any ohm-load between 1.5 and 4 so it doesn't really matter.
Yeah I just looked after I saw this post. Aint that a *****. thnx for the info

And for the wires I would run at least 4ga for the power and ground. For the speaker wire 8ga might be a bit overkill I think 10ga would be plenty but if you wanna spend the extra dough.

Originally posted by Alaxan Yeah I just looked after I saw this post. Aint that a *****. thnx for the info
Yeah, I wish more amps were designed like that. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yeah they are dual voice coil... soo.. how do I wire them up so that I can get them in to a 2 or 4 ohm load and run them in parallel? Thats my only question now... Thanx for all the info guys...

Appreciate it!!

Blazin..

Originally posted by dr. no Yeah, I wish more amps were designed like that. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
It is kinda nice, but useless for some competition. I like my amps rated at 75watts@ 4ohms...... and pushin 2400 or so at .5ohm LOL

Guys I appreciate it alot.... if I have any more questions I know where I can get the answers... THANX ALOT!!!!

Blazin....

P.S. Will update u soon and hopefully get some pics of install and how it sounds..!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.