Need Help. Poor wiring and not a clue

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rogers

Hello, I ended up getting a used amp and sub. The amp was a two channel amp and the sub was a ten inch alpine. I ended up hooking up the amp to the power with a fuse, the line in which I spliced onto the head unit. And the ground which is near the amp in the trunk. And the RCA is hooked to the HU as well.

The problem is I hook up the sub to the amp which has the bridge label. When I hook it up the car seems to stall for a second or two then turns on. The sub does not seem to do anything. At this point I started to think it was the alternator. I left the amp hooked up and disconnected the back two speakers and hooked the sub directly to the car. It doesn't have a low pass filter or anything but this is besides the point. The car seems to power the sub adequately enough. But why?? I thought it need to be hooked in. I have aftermarket speakers in the front and they get loud too.

Even stranger is that the music seems to get louder when the car is off. I see the amp light turn off. But I'm still confused by why the speakers get louder. I took out the fuse to see if the amp was making the speakers louder and it was. When I took the fuse out it made everything quiet. Fuse in = louder speakers. I can't say if this happens when the RCA is disconnected or connected. Can any one explain some of this mess to me?

first, if you're powering the amp from a fuse inside the cabin, that is a huge problem. power wire needs to be ran directly to the battery. the connection to the head unit should be the remote turn-on wire. maybe that's what you meant to say by "line in".

it makes sense that the head unit can power the sub, that's just a check that the sub works.

we don't know what car you have or if your car has a factory amplifier. if it does, that may be a huge clue as to what's going on.

it's hard to say without seeing what's going on. since you're not sure what the issue is, there will be important details that you are leaving out. because if you included all pertinent details you would have solved it already. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

When I hook it up the car seems to stall for a second or two then turns on.
this statement confuses me. what stalls, exactly? the engine?

the amp could be bad and it could be causing these issues, even though some seem unrelated to the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.