Need Help? Let Me know

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Dover DE
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just a quick head unit install for a friend.

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Dover DE
Past weekend was a busy one.

Started off with a 2006 Mercedes ML 350.

Goodies

JBL MS8

Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH

Factory head unit

Seat out

Head unit removed

Head unit harness, Red/Black wire will be tapped for +

Factory amp location under driver seat.

Outputs wired to the MS8 harness. All soldered and heat shrunk.

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Dover DE
New MS8 installed

Switched 12 volt source was used from the power outlet

Wired up

Installed

MS8 display in the glove box

Mic in factory location

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Dover DE
Next up 2009 370Z

Goodies

Pioneer App2 radio

JL250/1 AMP

Sub bass knob was installed looking like factory

New head unit installed

New amp

Quote from the customer.

"Well after my major score at BestBuy, I contacted Bigaudio and he just happens to be in my area this weekend so I decided to take him up on his offer and have him over to install my new head unit and sub amp. Super excited to have him do it, nice to have someone familiar with the car and cares. Pictures will be up on Sunday night.

So where do I start. Let’s start with Matt the person, what a gentleman! Showed up at my house and right away I felt like we had known each other for years. So we sat down for some breakfast and the conversation flowed right away. Sitting with a fellow audiophile that is 28 years my junior and yet likes the same music, well that was a welcome surprise.

Now on to the install, the guy knows this car like the back of his hand. The car was dismantled with CARE in just minutes. All of the wiring was soldered and heat shrink covered and all the runs neatly replaced. Of course as faith would have it, just as he’s getting ready for the final touches, one channel's not working. So out comes everything and the hunt begins. Well like I said, he knows his stuff and after a little trouble shooting, he traced the problem back to the previous installer’s work, short in the "lamp cord" they used to feed the crossovers from the amp. He was kind enough to replace the wires for me with something a little more suitable. Once that was done everything went back in without a hitch.

I really can't say enough about this guy, we laughed all day long, even though it was 80 and the sun was on us all day, we still had a blast! I'm having him back in a few weeks to trouble shoot the system in my FX35.

So if you’re in the market for an installer, don't hesitate to give him a call, the price is right, the work is GREAT and the conversation is fun, you won't be sorry. Oh one other thing, he's done like 40 370's, I don't know many installers that can say that.

Thanks again Matt!"

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Dover DE
Hello everyone, my name is Matt, I have been an installer for 8 years now. My audio installs is a part time side job, however I work as a I.T. guy. We got our new van a few weeks ago and the stock system was not cutting it for me.

Stage 1 Head unit install

I decided to go with something that could give me expandability and features but also not something that would blow the budget. The JVC KW-R900BT fit the bill nicely. I am a alpine guy all day and kenwood is a close runner up, but I decided to step out of my comfort zone on this one and go with a different brand all together.

On to the pictures.

Few of the parts

Ran the mic on top of the A pillar, no problem with echo or noise.

As I do all my work, I soldered and marine grade heat shrunk all the wires, sadly I was in a rush and did not take a picture of this.

Wires ready to go.

Routed the USB #2 port to the glove box, very simple to do.

Head unit installed in the metra dash kit.

Installed with trim ring

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Dover DE
2008 VW Passat

Before

All wires soldered and heat shrunk

After

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Dover DE
Bump

gcameron

Dec 17, 2012
United States
Hi Matt,

I have a 1997 Volvo 850 Wagon, just like the one I saw your pictures from in this thread. I'm looking to upgrade completely - new receiver, new component front speakers, and (possibly) subwoofer. I'm not looking for an overpowering system, just an improvement that sounds good. With a total budget of 400-450 dollars, how much of an upgrade can I get, and where do you suggest I look? Do you think I could install myself (I'm completely new to car audio but can learn quickly), and if not, how cheap could I find a professional installer? Do you think a subwoofer or amplifier would be worth the money? I'm not entirely sure how high-grade a system has to be for either of these things to make sense. Excuse my lack of knowledge.

Thanks!

Greg

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Dover DE
Hi Matt,
I have a 1997 Volvo 850 Wagon, just like the one I saw your pictures from in this thread. I'm looking to upgrade completely - new receiver, new component front speakers, and (possibly) subwoofer. I'm not looking for an overpowering system, just an improvement that sounds good. With a total budget of 400-450 dollars, how much of an upgrade can I get, and where do you suggest I look? Do you think I could install myself (I'm completely new to car audio but can learn quickly), and if not, how cheap could I find a professional installer? Do you think a subwoofer or amplifier would be worth the money? I'm not entirely sure how high-grade a system has to be for either of these things to make sense. Excuse my lack of knowledge.

Thanks!

Greg
Hello Greg, the Volvo is pretty easy to upgrade as long as you know how to remove door panels and take your time. Make sure you have a door removal tool. You can buy one at any auto part store. If you want a fool proof way of doing it yourself order from crutchfield this way you will get all the instructions needed adapters needed . Otherwise there are plenty of online videos and articles showing how to remove door panels and you can save money by ordering from amazon or other places.

You will hear a big difference between your stock speakers and new ones as well as just by upgrading the head unit by itself.

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Dover DE
The owner contacted me asking for a clean basic stereo install. Nothing crazy but he did want a little flare to it. I went ahead and put together an idea and went to work.

Equipment

Custom Autosound Secret Audio SST

CD Changer

Alpine Type S 6.5 Components

Alpine Type S 6X9 Coaxial's

KnuKonceptz 16 gauge wire

As always wires soldered and marine grade heat shrunk.

Harness organized and wired

The CD changer was mounted using aluminum brackets secured to the back lip of the rear wall.

Pre made kick panels were not deep enough for the woofers, nor did they have a cut out for a tweeter. Spacers were made and will later be routed and painted, fallowed by upholstery.

A new dash was made (not by myself) and the display was installed.

A bracket was made to install the brain as well on the back wall. The one strip going along the back wall has a gap behind it and worked well as a place to secure everything without going through the wall.

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Dover DE

The customer did want rear speakers so I made a set of basic boxes and mounted them level and flat, as the back wall is actually angled back.

A template was made for the beauty panel.

The actually panel, it will later be wrapped. Still need to add the plexiglass and logo.

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Dover DE
I did a simple stealth install on a 2012 Prius, with the first hybrid being done it was different than a normal car but not by much. The owner wanted a stealth install with major audio upgrades in quality.

Removed dash panels making sure not to scratch them with painter tape.

Speaker harness needed for the audio control.

Door panels removed

Old stock speakers vs new ID CXS speakers

New speaker wire ran.

Wires soldered and heat shrunk

Installed

New tweeters using factory location and factory brackets.

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Dover DE

All wiring ran to the trunk. Before organizing.

Trunk back together

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Dover DE
Customer finally got the car to the upholstery shop and back. Final tuning will be done and red led's installed behind the logo.

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Dover DE
Still doing installs here. Need to updated with some new work.

OldManBass

Senior VIP Member
May 3, 2013
The Dirty South
Still doing installs here. Need to updated with some new work.
If you are ever down Louisiana way... hit me up!

bigaudiofanatic

Dynamic Mobile Audio
10+ year member
Nov 18, 2008
Dover DE
Today was a simple upgrade. A family of a friend of mine wanted better sound for their trip. Sense the speakers were 11 years old it was to be expected. Upgraded the fronts and rears with polk DXI's which were hands down better than the stock ones which by now were deteriorating and sounded awful. The family only requested something cheap and the install was stealth.

The car

Panels before

Running the factory wire back through the stock grommet to install the crossover inside the cabin. Speaker wire was than fed back to the speakers.

New speakers being wired up. Soldered and head shrunk

Dremeled the old tweeters out to make room for the new ones.

New speakers installed

Installed

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds