Need Help! Don't really know what to do

Participant count
  • Participant list

spankumbottom
10+ year member

I have a power acoustik 2200 watt amp (makes about 800-1000 actual watts). The amp is pushing an Audiobahn AW1805x. It has 4 gauge running to the trunk. It is fused with a cheapo plastic fuse holder and 60 amp fuse. I can pound it hard with no problems. I will be getting my MMATS D300HC back soon. This is where I run into problems. I have never been able to wire it up properly before thats why it broke. I was using 8 guage power wire. This particular amp was factory modified to produce more power. The person that I bought it from said that it would draw over 150 amps of current. The amp stock was said to be able to produce 1700 watts rms. I bought 20 feet of good 0 guage wire. I also have a nice dist. block((2) 0 guage inputs, (3) 4 guage outputs.) I am going to put the block in the trunk. I was told today why you need to fuse the wire 18" from the battery(never knew before, I just did it.) So I will need a new fuse holder and beefeir fuse's correct? It seems like if I don't my nice 0 guage and distribution blocks will be a big waste of money. My local car audio dealer said that I would not need anything more then 100 amps(as fuses are conserned). I don't think that he knows what even MMATS is. My question is then will the 4 guage and 60 amp fuse be enough? Have I wasted my money by buying 0 guage and dist. block. Because if i need to replace the fuse holder and fuses I need to be directed towards something to fix my little perdicament. Please Help!

spankumbottom@hotmail.com

I would really like some help so if someone can write me an e-mail that explains in detail exactly what I need to do that what be very helpfull.

Originally posted by spankumbottom So I will need a new fuse holder and beefeir fuse's correct?

correct....i would advise a circuit breaker instead of a fuse because they can get costly....since the amp will draw 150ampers....i'd suggest a 150 amper circuit breaker......

http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/list.pl?type_plural=Circuit+Breakers&sidebar_type=types&selected=Circuit+Breakers&x=34&y=12

It seems like if I don't my nice 0 guage and distribution blocks will be a big waste of money. My local car audio dealer said that I would not need anything more then 100 amps(as fuses are conserned). I don't think that he knows what even MMATS is.

doubt he does...and he is incorrect.....doesnt appear to know what he's talking about.....

My question is then will the 4 guage and 60 amp fuse be enough?

nope

Have I wasted my money by buying 0 guage and dist. block. Because if i need to replace the fuse holder and fuses I need to be directed towards something to fix my little perdicament. Please Help!

u didnt waste your money......looks like u got a good idea as to what u need....you might however need to upgrade your alt...cause i doubt a stock alt could handle 150 ampers of current for the amp alone......thenu gotta add your car....thats another 25-40 ampers .....if your running anything else....it can get quite high ......and a cap wouldnt help.....so its out of the question......if u have any more problems feel free to ask

spankumbottom@hotmail.com

I would really like some help so if someone can write me an e-mail that explains in detail exactly what I need to do that what be very helpfull. [/b]

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.