need box plans

gc86
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
making a ported box for 2 oz audio matrix elite 12in woofers, dual 4-ohm, i need some ideas, oz recommends 1.5 after displacements tuned to 34hz, should i tune higher to increase my spl? i'd sacrifice a little sq for sql, max dimensions are about 28in wide, 16in high, and say maybe 22in deep? im thinking i want to use ports instead of a vented box to save space and im lazy, anyone care to make me some plans?

I would not use a ported box for this particular speaker. Especially if you wish to compete, it has a terrible alignment for ported yet sealed is impressive. using the following.

Qts .66

Vas (ft3 ) 4.9? having difficulty converting liters to feet cubed estimate

Fs Hertz 33

Vb (ft3 ) 2.0 cu ft

Qtc = 1.22

Fc = Hertz 61

F3 = Hertz 44

although a rather large box for freq production I assume this sub is designed for competition, you would do well with a 2.0 cuft sealed enclousure, just get some power!

Also, a Qtc of 1.22 is going to have a strong bass emphasis with a loss in deep tones, hense "boomy", excellent for competition but poor for sound quality, if you do decide to use the 2.0 cu ft enclousure, you can try some poly fil from wal-mart to take the edge/harshness off a little, then when you get ready to compete take it out.

Something that's been bothering me for some time now:

Port = Vent

I can not stand hearing: "I was going to port it, but then I decided venting it would be better." Both are the same, but there are different types. There are slot ports, and there are tube or pvc ports.

I'm not trying to be critical of any one person, it's just a pet peeve of mine that I needed to get off my chest.

I would not use a ported box for this particular speaker. Especially if you wish to compete, it has a terrible alignment for ported yet sealed is impressive. using the following.
Qts .66

Vas (ft3 ) 4.9? having difficulty converting liters to feet cubed estimate

Fs Hertz 33

Vb (ft3 ) 2.0 cu ft

Qtc = 1.22

Fc = Hertz 61

F3 = Hertz 44

although a rather large box for freq production I assume this sub is designed for competition, you would do well with a 2.0 cuft sealed enclousure, just get some power!
shut the hell up you know nothing thread starter do what you want and ignore this idiot

Something that's been bothering me for some time now:
Port = Vent

I can not stand hearing: "I was going to port it, but then I decided venting it would be better." Both are the same, but there are different types. There are slot ports, and there are tube or pvc ports.

I'm not trying to be critical of any one person, it's just a pet peeve of mine that I needed to get off my chest.
Im aware that a ported and vented enclosure pretty much do the same thing, just that ported is usually easier to build... you have the luxury to start off sealed and port in the future if necessary. I understand where your comming from though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Im aware that a ported and vented enclosure pretty much do the same thing, just that ported is usually easier to build... you have the luxury to start off sealed and port in the future if necessary. I understand where your comming from though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
He is saying that a port and a vent are the same exact thing... You are talking about a SLOT port and a ROUND port (round would be your 'port')...

I agree with martin, people think that vented and ported are different. That's like saying that you crawled down an air duct and someone disagrees and says that it's called an air vent.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.