Need amp help!!!! I have a 13.5 W7!!

The theory states all things remain the same and you increase power by 2 or double cone area you can expect a near 3db gain.
Some in theory, strictly theoretical, I'll be upgrading my system soon, and I plan on upgrading my little system which is maybe running 500RMS to something more in the 1600-2200RMS range. If this is correct I could only expect a gain of 6-9DB? I've never termlabbed my vehicle but I imagine I'm in the mid 120s not worth bragging about. But the guy designing my box projected I could reach the low 140s atleast high 130s mathematically speaking that's much higher than 6-9DB. Understand variables change from vehicle to vehicle but I don't believe results can be that varied. What mathematical formula or theory are you using?

Some in theory, strictly theoretical, I'll be upgrading my system soon, and I plan on upgrading my little system which is maybe running 500RMS to something more in the 1600-2200RMS range. If this is correct I could only expect a gain of 6-9DB? I've never termlabbed my vehicle but I imagine I'm in the mid 120s not worth bragging about. But the guy designing my box projected I could reach the low 140s atleast high 130s mathematically speaking that's much higher than 6-9DB. Understand variables change from vehicle to vehicle but I don't believe results can be that varied. What mathematical formula or theory are you using?
Is everything identical? If your jumping to 1600-2200wrms on the same sub, same box, same position in the same car then theoretically the most gain you would see is 9-12db gain. If nothing will be the same then you threw the theory right out the window. You cant base it on power alone.

In theory, you'd only gain about 6dB.

500w -> 1000w would be a 3dB gain and 1000w -> 2000w would be another 3dB gain. When you factor in thermal inductance, power compression, and the cost & complexities with trying to power a 2000w amplifier it really doesn't make much sense now does it? The simple thing to do would to use more efficient speakers/subs (and use more of them) if you're looking to get louder.

There's a lot of ways to skin this cat and I'd rate spending money on electrical and surfboard amps pretty low on the list.

I've had SQ+ systems under 1000w total that hit 140dB and sounded great. It's not terribly difficult if you plan things right. The problem, today, is that many subwoofers are heavy & inefficient and require massive amounts of power to reach their potential. While it helps that power is cheap, you still run into the issue of trying to feed the amp enough current so it doesn't cook itself.

I've always preferred light coned & efficient subs. While their airspace requirements might be a bit larger than some others, the total footprint of the box is usually SMALLER since more efficient woofers usually do not have huge deep motors that displace a lot of volume & trunk space.

~10db gain is supposed to give the perception of "twice as loud". But you can still feel a bit of difference in the SPL with +3db thats for sure!

And doubling cone area and power gives a 6db gain. (and ofcoarse this isn't real world results as you start adding massive amounts of power)

If you are one of those idiots trying to feed a TRUE 1kwrms sub 2kw just because it takes it then you won't see near a 3 db gain from 1-2kw..More like 1db or so if you are lucky(depends on how well the motor handles it). I have no room to speak though lol because i am feeding my custom 10" DD3500 upwards of 2kw...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.