Massive NX5 vs Hifonics ZXi60.4 + 1K

blazeplacid
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
DFW texas
I want a 5 channel for simplicity of wiring and space.

I currently dont have a spare tire but I feel like I need it there just in case for winter

my two amps are in the spare tire well, so one of these amps would be taking the place of those amps....but in a new location

I like the Hifonics Zeus ZXi60.4 + 1Ks and the Massive nx5.

Has anyone used either of these amps?

I know the massive amp is tiny compared to the Hifonics so that kinda makes me want to get it.

If the Hifonics sounds better and does rated, then I wouldnt mind the extra space.

Can anyone give me some info about either of these amps?

I've got the NX5 and would run them again in another setup. The only issue I have noticed is that I had ti add a fan because it will deffinity get hot even with room for it. It went into protect on me 2x the first day I ran it full tilt after 30 mins or so. I've heard they don't do rated but the guy who built my enclosure is a dealer for them and says they do. I didn't buy my amp from him either. Sounds good running my ck6s and 2 sundown sa8s.

the box the NX5 comes in states "480 w+ 800w MAX"

that is usually a bad sign

most amps around that size and price will do 400rms on the sub side @ 2 ohms so thats why im thinking the 800w is max.

I know the amp will run 1 ohm but I just wanna be sure im gonna get close to 800rms @ 1 ohm

I haven't had the amp tested for actual output numbers but I can tell it is louder than the PG 600.1 I was running prior. Its getting close to 800rms@1 ohm if its not the full 800. I would put it up against most if not all 5 Channel amps in its price range.

had the hifonics and im bout to buy another one. i clamped it to do 720ish at 2ohm 13.8 so id say it does rated. it doesn't get hot and it takes o gauge fine. active capable. and u dont need three sets of rcas to run it either 1, 2, or 3 sets will do. mine sounded fine on my highs and just as fine on my sub. its big like 2 foot long and a foot wide but this also give it the room inside to hold the components to make the larger power rating as well as giving it more surface area to dissipate heat

It seems like the NX series of Massive Audio amplifiers are overrated. For example if you translate this the nx4 does only 65watts at 4ohms with 14.4 volts. I have heard other people complain that the nx4 or nx5 do not do the rated power and run hot. Massive Audio never quite offered explanation for these issues.

IMHO, if you want an compact amplifier that does its rated power, and possibly a bit more without running hot, take a look at some of true and tried Class D amplifiers. Some good examples are Alpine MRX-V60 and Kenwood XR-5s. The same web site shows that the Alpine MRX can output a bit more power than the rating (for example 360watts on the sub channel with 14.4V battery). If you want more power than 300-350watts for subwoofer section, then the Hifonics does look very impressive.

I would really like more wattage for the sub.

Articles like that make me really think that the 800 watt rating at 1 ohm is max and that this amp does 400rms@1ohm.

I really wanna do the Hifonics but I dont know where I can put a 24" long amp in my car =)

If you are looking for power AND space saving, I would definitely spring the $400 for the JL XD700/5. Not as much power as your other two choices but said to be clean power and almost bulletproof. It's also tiny to boot. JL XD700/5

the sub I have will have a final impedance of 4 or 1 ohm so that JL is a bit lower than I would like on sub output.

I was eyeing the JL 900/5 but im not 100% set on that yet.

I may have to get two small amps that are stackable.

If you go with 2 small amps. AudioSystem Twisters. You can run an F2 and F4. The F4 for front duty and the F2 bridged at 2 or 4 ohms. They are 2 ohm stable bridged on all channels.

I was debating these same amps for my next build. I was leaning toward the NX5 ofcorse because of the size,but ill prolly grab the Hifonics. Now trying to fit the sob is going to be a pita.

I would really like more wattage for the sub.
Articles like that make me really think that the 800 watt rating at 1 ohm is max and that this amp does 400rms@1ohm.

I really wanna do the Hifonics but I dont know where I can put a 24" long amp in my car =)

Can you put instead say two 10x8 amplifiers instead? You could buy a separate 4-channel amplifier for speakers and a capable monoblock for the subwoofer. The monoblock amplifier screwed onto the subwoofer box and the speaker amplifier can hopefully be placed somewhere.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.