Need alternator help

thatguyyouno

I have been looking for a 240a high output alternator. I have a 2007 Pontiac g6 with a 2.4l 4 cylinder ecotec engine. I can't seem to find a decently priced alternator (under 500) I'm not really looking to spend 500 or 400 really. I've been looking everywhere. My alt is in the middle of my engine so I don't believe I can replace it myself, I'm going to have to hire a shop and they'll have to install it. With that being said would it be cheaper to get my alternator rebuilt or to buy a new one and get it installed. I need some links on cheaply priced alternators but built right. Also, would it be a good idea to get a universal alternator and buy a bracket to mount it?

You will not find an alternator with that output without dropping 500$ or so for a 6 phase "hairpin" type. Even then, that sort of current only happens at driving speeds and you'd expect about half that at idle.

Even assuming you could just get a huge 3 phase round wire alternator that would do that, what do you think you'd pay to have a custom bracket built to hold it?

Ebay has some cheap chinese alternators that claim that output...and they also have 2000 watt amps that are so efficient they only need 20 amps of fusing ...Those Ebay alternators are perfect matches for those amps...If you want a quality alternator its gonna cost ...If you want junk it can be found cheap...

A local alternator shop might be able to rebuild the one you have and add some amperage output by beefing up the guts.should be under a few hundred to do but I don't think you'll get 240 amps out of it.maybe 150-200 tops (depends on alt)I think

That case isn't very common so not many people make a replacement. Your best bet may be to contact an alt company directly and ask if they could custom build one for you. Try mechman, maybe DC power, and Ohio Gen.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.