Need Advise- Picking a Subwoofer for 2013 Chevy

I just made two little 1 cu. ft. boxes out of MDF that slide under my rear seats and mounted to the floor and it works really well. Being custom I could utilize all the space so I get enough box volume and the boxes don't stick past the seat bench when they are folded down which is great.

Glad I could help!

Those chevy underseat enclosures can be challenging, Foxboxes seem more suited for lower power subs and the next size down (IE 12" enclosure... run a 10). Downfiring with limited port area and airspace... a prefab is what I see when looking at those things.
Lots of positive online reviews out there but I always read those /w/ skepticism.

This lil' thing took up 1/2 the underseat and does well.
You're better off doing it right once and be done with it imo... 🤷‍♂️
ULn7WF.jpg

3 X-6.5's side ported on a 3K.
Anyways... good luck with that foxbox

Those chevy underseat enclosures can be challenging, Foxboxes seem more suited for lower power subs and the next size down (IE 12" enclosure... run a 10). Downfiring with limited port area and airspace... a prefab is what I see when looking at those things.
Lots of positive online reviews out there but I always read those /w/ skepticism.

This lil' thing took up 1/2 the underseat and does well.
You're better off doing it right once and be done with it imo... 🤷‍♂️
ULn7WF.jpg

3 X-6.5's side ported on a 3K.
Anyways... good luck with that foxbox
I agree with you completely. I considered building my own box but the 2007-2014 Silverado is terrible. It has like 3 or 4 different grade changes in the floor and I could tell it was going to be a pain in the a.. I had a 2006 Silverado and I built a downfiring sealed box for 2- 8 inch Solobarics and it sounded real good but I just wanted to go ported this time for a little extra oomph. I might add - the system is really not for me- it’s for my son who is turning 16 next month. It’s not going to take a lot to impress him- as long as it hits pretty hard and fairly clean he will be happy. I considered building a box like the one pictured above but was scared that 3- 6 1/2 subs would not be loud enough for him. Maybe I was wrong...... Anyway it’s done now and can’t change it. Just want to try to pick the best subs possible to go with this Fox Box. Thank you for your reply

I just made two little 1 cu. ft. boxes out of MDF that slide under my rear seats and mounted to the floor and it works really well. Being custom I could utilize all the space so I get enough box volume and the boxes don't stick past the seat bench when they are folded down which is great.

Glad I could help!
Yes I really appreciate everyone’s input (except the dude that commented first). This setup is for my kid who is turning 16 next month. We are from the country; he has never been exposed to anything but a couple Walmart 10s on 200 watts that my nephew had. So these ported 10s and 1200 watts RMS is going to be awesome to him no matter what sub I pick. What “experts” like that guy don’t realize is that everyone ain’t trying to put their system in contests and I fully aware it’s not going to crack windshields. I just want something that hits pretty good and sounds ok. I was into car audio in the early 2000s. I had the custom built 4th and 7th order boxes. I know this setup will not sound like that. I just have never heard many speakers outside of RF, Kicker etc. and just wanted to get opinions on other sub options. Sounds like you found something that you are happy with. I appreciate everyone’s advice and different perspectives.

Yes I really appreciate everyone’s input (except the dude that commented first). This setup is for my kid who is turning 16 next month. We are from the country; he has never been exposed to anything but a couple Walmart 10s on 200 watts that my nephew had. So these ported 10s and 1200 watts RMS is going to be awesome to him no matter what sub I pick. What “experts” like that guy don’t realize is that everyone ain’t trying to put their system in contests and I fully aware it’s not going to crack windshields. I just want something that hits pretty good and sounds ok. I was into car audio in the early 2000s. I had the custom built 4th and 7th order boxes. I know this setup will not sound like that. I just have never heard many speakers outside of RF, Kicker etc. and just wanted to get opinions on other sub options. Sounds like you found something that you are happy with. I appreciate everyone’s advice and different perspectives.

The problem with the fox box is there is not enough port volume so you will get some port noise and the real tuning is likely in the 40’s. I know because I own one. I actually sealed it off with some IDQ’s and enjoy it but am going to do a custom build next.
I am a big fan of SSA and would get the Demon. I have owned DC and honestly don’t think they are anything special. JL W3 is a good woofer but I’d still go Demon.

Ok I have an update for anyone who may stumble upon this thread. I chose two DD Audio 610’s for my Fox Box and I couldn’t be any happier. These subs hit DEEP and clean. I got the 4 ohm DVC subs and wired them to 1 ohm so they are seeing about 600 watts rms per sub which is at the top end of the 610s rms rating. This is the best result I could have hoped for without taking the backseat out. And to all the people talking ish about a “prefab” box- they have obviously never saw/checked out or picked up a Fox Box in person. This box is well constructed and solid- nothing like a cheap knockoff box. It’s built as solid as any custom box I’ve seen from shops. These DD’s hit the lowest of the low bass in hip hop music with mirror-shaking authority. I’m completely happy. Glad I went with my gut instead of a bunch of strangers but I’m sure some of the other popular subs would do well in this enclosure as well. Fox Box says the enclosure is tuned to 36 Hz and I believe it. This setup produces powerful bass in the 30 - 50 Hz range. Anyway- I hope this helps someone who has a Chevy Extended Cab (especially the 2007-2013 model which has even less room under the seat than other year models).

The problem with the fox box is there is not enough port volume so you will get some port noise and the real tuning is likely in the 40’s. I know because I own one. I actually sealed it off with some IDQ’s and enjoy it but am going to do a custom build next.
I am a big fan of SSA and would get the Demon. I have owned DC and honestly don’t think they are anything special. JL W3 is a good woofer but I’d still go Demon.

Just saw your reply after I posted my update- thanks for the advise. I have no problems with port noise (or at least I don’t notice it). These DD’s sound freaking awesome. The low bass (45 Hz and below) is where they really shine. Maybe the SSA’s just don’t go as low as the DDs? Not sure but my low bass is killer. Plays low bass as good as a custom built 7th order tuned to 34 Hz that I used to have in another vehicle several years ago. I will always wonder what the Demons would have sounded like- I really likes the way they looked

I will agree that the fox box is definitely a better built pre fab option. They really do have a niche in making the biggest possible boxes for limited space in trucks. I’m not in love with the use of 1/2” mdf but you aren’t putting a ton of power in either. The size of the port does bother me because the 36 tuning is just not correct but when I had some Sundown E’s in there, it got very loud. It didn’t sound the best though compared to my other setups with more port volume.
I’m sure the DD’s are a great choice as they are another good company. I could be wrong but the DD’s are made towards SPL while the SSA line is more musical.
The most important thing is that you are satisfied and happy. That is all that matters in the end. You could always get a pair of demons and see how they compare and sell me what you don’t keep :)

I will agree that the fox box is definitely a better built pre fab option. They really do have a niche in making the biggest possible boxes for limited space in trucks. I’m not in love with the use of 1/2” mdf but you aren’t putting a ton of power in either. The size of the port does bother me because the 36 tuning is just not correct but when I had some Sundown E’s in there, it got very loud. It didn’t sound the best though compared to my other setups with more port volume.
I’m sure the DD’s are a great choice as they are another good company. I could be wrong but the DD’s are made towards SPL while the SSA line is more musical.
The most important thing is that you are satisfied and happy. That is all that matters in the end. You could always get a pair of demons and see how they compare and sell me what you don’t keep :)

I appreciate it man. Yes I am very happy with the DD’s. Although I’m sure other subs like SSA, Sundown etc would have sounded good as well. I didn’t get into detail but I also lifted the seat about 1 1/2 inches and made spacers that raised the bottom of the box up so that it created more air/space under the subs and this probably helps with more output as well. My expectations weren’t super high before I installed this setup so I guess that’s why I am so thrilled with it. It definitely fills every need I have but loud has not always been my thing- I just like my bass clean and most powerful on the low notes of hip hop and country and it does that in spades. Thank you for replying.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.