Trying to decide on subs and possibly a Headunit

Participant count
  • Participant list

dhuffer

CarAudio.com Newbie
Guam
Hi, I've been out of caraudio for over a decade and I’m looking to buy subs but I’m unsure what to get. 15 years ago I had 2 12” L7s sealed and I loved them. I was thinking of going with that again but then, after researching online, i found that type R, SD3, SD SA v2 and AB xfl come highly recommended ported. I have 2 old school Modified Mmats D300HC that can put out 1400w rms at 2ohm and close to 2000w rms at 1ohm or below. Also, I plan to build basic ported boxes for the sub/subs and maybe purchasing a 3000w rms amp in the future.

So,I need help deciding on size then model. There are 3 vehicles in my household, I am thinking of porting sub/subs for the 2 Mid 2000 4runners, ideally I would like a 15 or 2 12s for each. But, I also have a 2017 crewcab Silverado. Thus, I am thinking of getting at least 1 set of 10s (< 6" mounting depth) because i want the option of moving the subs into the silverado in a few years. And the other setup can be different. I wouldn't mind 2 different subs for the respective setups, one can be more sQ and the other louder and shakier. I listen to R&B, Pop, Rap, Country, Reggae, Christian, Classical, almost everything except metal. I'm trying to keep my budget around $1000 for all of the subs.

I'm thinking 2 10" Alpine Type Rs and 2 Sundown Audio SA 12 v2s or AB XFL 1244. Will I be happy with these?

Should I stick with Kicker L7s?
Should I try a 15" Sundown or American Bass in 1 setup?
Is 1 12" SunDown or AB good enough for 1 setup?
Should I just get 4 10" of the same sub?
Should get 2 10" SDs and 2 12" SDs?
Should I get different Sundown subs?
Should I get different subs completely?

Lastly, the Headunit? I've got a kenwood DVD player with 4 volt pre-outs. Gonna run the front channel to a Boston GT-40 Amp and send all of the power to a set of Boston Pro50se. Coax in the rear off of the HU. If i really want SQ, should I upgrade to the Pioneer 80 PRS? I don't plan to do a 3 way setup with midbass... But, I want clean sound, All of my music now comes from Apple Music and Pandora. Are there any HUs with newer tech that come close to the quality of the 80 prs?

Sorry for all the Qs, been researching for days and finally thought to post here. LOL

Thank you in Advance :)))))

HU is Kenwood ddx373bt: 24 bit d/a converter, DSP, 13 band EQ and music enhancement, 6ch 4 volt Pre-outs, 22w x 4 rms

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.