Need advice

tjustin7

Greetings all,

I have an 2003 OLDSMOBILE BRAVADA, with the stock 6-disc BOSE cd player.

Recently it's malfunctioned with an error "PLAYER ERROR" and seems to be unable to eject disks, and cannot eject the disks. I was able to physically pull the stuck disk out, but the unit continues to try and eject a disk, fail, and then give the error. The AM/FM radio works fine.

I went to a "major car stereo store", and they said because I had a 2003 GM / BOSE stereo system, I needed:

a standard CD Player - $100-150

an adapter to convert 12v to 0.3v due to the BOSE system - $150

a steering while adapter so the volume controls on the steering wheel work - $120

Brackets, etc, for a total of

$475 after taxes.

Just to play CD's in the my car like I could before.

Is this for real?

Surely other people have had this issue?

He suggested NOT getting a unit from a junkyard, as it might not work, and, having been off for so long, may not work due to anti-theft.

Note the stereo has an AUX button on the front, but no AUX input on the front of the unit.

Is there some other solution that doesn't cost $475 to make this so I can play CD's?

Is there some hidden AUX input on the unit that i could somehow plug an iPod or something into?

Thanks for any advice/input.

PS: This is how I induced the PLAYER ERROR, if you're curious:

Switch Disk 1, played for a few seconds

Switch Disk 2, played for a few seconds

Switch Disk 3, played for a few seconds

Switch Disk 6, played for a few seconds

EJECT Disk 6,

PLAYER ERROR.

The unit makes a noise like it's trying to switch trays ("whir whir whir"), then a sound like it's trying to eject ("KNEE KNEE KNEE"). Then it reports "PLAYER ERROR" and switches to AM/FM.

I was able to pull out a disk, but the unit still sees 6 disks, and still seems to be trying to do that same operation (switch, eject).

The prices quoted to replace the head unit with the shop's parts look pretty outrageous. $120 to retain steering wheel controls? Check with another shop. I do not recommend you pursue repairing this radio unless you really have an aversion to aftermarket radios.

If those prices are installed then they are average shop prices most shops charge $85 an hour plus But it does depend on the parts. Even as a dealer the parts can be expensive in some cases

The prices do include installation ("$1 install").

Can anyone comment regarding the anti theft comment?

The main purpose of the CD player is mostly to play kids music... so no Audiophile stuff required here.

In other words, $80-$150 for a junkyard CD player is very much tempting compared to a $475 basic audio system.

Were there any other choices besides those two?

FYI,

I FIXED my "PLAYER ERROR" issue with my original stereo.

After physically removing disc 6 out of the unit, the device still indicated PLAYER ERROR.

I ended up pulling the fuse for the radio multiple times. Each time, the player cycled the discs slightly differently.

After about the 3rd or 4th time, it started working.

I cycled through all the trays with no problem (including the empty tray 6, which then cleared and indicated it was empty).

Thanks everyone for the advice regarding a new stereo.

I'm going to keep my $475 for now and hold out until the unit is totally dead.

I'm also going to avoid using Tray 6 as I think that's where the problem stemmed from.

Thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.