Need advice on battery / alternator

Participant count
  • Participant list

jdubu

Oregon
Hello again everyone //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

So I finally managed to grab all the components I need to setup my system. I believe my battery and alternator are stock.

Here is what I'm working with:

1 * JL Audio G-MAX G-Series AMP 1200w RMS = 4 Gauge Input Wire

1 * FOCAL SOLID-2 2 Channel Amp 200w RMS = 8 Gauge Input Wire

1 * Sundown X12D4 1250w RMS

My car is a 1992 Honda Civic VX with a stock alternator and pretty sure OEM replaced battery.

I installed two volt-meters and both are reading between 12.4V to 14.6V while the car is running. Mostly in the 12v range.

I need to know what brand/type of battery I should and how many amps from my alternator and battery will be required to run this properly.

Thank you so much for your help, I ****ing love these forums //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

EDIT:

Please don't tell me to search the forums. I read through many articles and websites but I'm still confused as hell.

As long as you're staying in the mid to high 12'syour ok. The platinum batteries are ok if you have the room. Anything other that that is going to cost you some money

12's is not good while the vehicle is running, especially while driving at higher engine RPM's.

Addeing batteries is good, and a HO alt ie even better, but I don't think it is necessary for your gear. Do the big three and get a quality rebadged AGM for under the hood.

Shouldn't dip below 13v at idle and 14v while driving is what I go by. Others will disagree, but I've never blown an amp or sub in my car.

I should note that I have not hooked anything up yet besides the head unit (DEH-80prs) and when running at normal RPM's it still dips down to 12.5 and up again. Using two Alpine Type-S 6X9's at the moment. About to install two focal poly-glass 5.25"

The size of the battery is laughable. I need to cut down on weight, thinking about removing the back seats since it is being designed for 2 listeners anyway. Plus everything will stay cleaner.

If anyone knows these honda's they know they aren't built for power. The best small battery and cheapest alternator I can buy is what I'm going for.

I have a meter, I'll do my best to find out how many amps the alternator is putting out.

EDIT: Looking online the stock alternators put out 70 amps. It seems to be working alright, probably just this battery in it. How many amps would a deep/cycle/agm battery need with the alternator running 70 amps?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.