Need advice for a replacement sub!

Participant count
  • Participant list

ebrammer252

I've been running an Alpine MRP-M450 and two Alpine 12" Type E subs in parallel wiring (I believe) for years and one of my subs finally gave out. Unfortunately the SWE-1243 is no longer available and I don't know where to begin looking for suitable replacements. I don't want to change my amp out of I can avoid it and I'm a big fan of Alpine as I've had zero problems out of the headunit, the speakers, the amp and the subs until now, the system has remained unchanged (except the car it's in) for 7-8 years now.

I'm looking at the specs for the SWE-1243 and it is :

"12" 4-ohm subwoofer

Kevlar® treated pulp woofer cone with Santoprene rubber surround

dual oversized Nomex® spiders

frequency response: 27-1,000 Hz

power range: 100-250 watts RMS

peak power: 700 watts

sensitivity: 86 dB

top mount depth: 5-11/16"

sealed box volume: 1.0-2.0 cubic feet

ported box volume 1.25-2.5 cubic feet

warranty: 1 year"

In looking at replacements I see a lot of the newer Alpine stuff is 50-250 RMS, but the peak power is higher. I also notice the frequency response in the new (and cheap) Alpine is much less (22-200 Hz on the Alpine SWA-12S4 I don't quite know what that means, but it seems like a negative thing? haha

Any recommendations and/or advice is greatly appreciated!

get the SWS12d4's and wire the amp up for 2 ohms. I had them before my soundqubed and they slammed great with 450 going to them
Thank you for your reply! I believe I have my current subs wired in 2 ohms? See the picture below to help me verify?

Pardon my ****** paint skills...

xNHp0X1.jpg

Also, aren't the SWS12d4's 500w RMS? If my MRP-M450 is 220 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (400 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms) wouldn't that be underpowering the subs? Then again, I can't remember it's been so long, is it best to underpower but not overpower? or the other way around?

pos and neg on one set get jumped together then you wire your pos and neg from your amp to the other 2 sets of terminals. do that to both subs and the amp will see a 2 ohm load.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.