Need a sub ~$200 for home stereo

sjv13
10+ year member

StayStrange
I'm thinking about doing a DIY project instead of buying a typical home theater sub/amp/cabinet combo. I'm going to be using my DIY sub for 80% music and 20% tv, xbox, movies, etc.

I am trying to stay under $500. I've figured this so far:

- Dayton plate amp, 500rms @4 ohms, $265 from parts express

- Box materials, $60?, not really sure

- Subwoofer, $whatever is left after buying amp and box materials (yet staying under $500 for the project).

Here is where my questions come in:

1) About how much does it cost to build a simple ported box, with materials from Home Depot (wood, glue, nails, carpeting)

2) What should the box be tuned to? Probably pretty low if I'm going to use it with movies and stuff... 25hz?

3) What is a sub that would work well on 500rms and is comfortable getting that low, that is still around $200?

Thanks for any help guys!

I'd suggest to look into Dayton Reference HF subwoofers. These are supposed to be very tight sounding. These seem more suited for a sealed box. This shouldn't be an issue. If you get an F3 of 40Hz, that's fine for music content as music rarely digs below that. Another interesting subwoofer is the new Dayton Ultimax 12.

If you want something on $200 budget, I guess you would have to look into Dayton's "Classic" subwoofer which is much cheaper. But my understanding is that Dayton Reference is much better, it's worth it.

This driver would thrive in HT setup. Throws your budget off by a few bucks, though.
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-classifieds/568111-tc-sounds-12-tc9.html
Do you know of any home sub amps that are cheaper than the Dayton SPA500 for $265 that I listed? I would be willing to go down to 300rms. I really plan to make a ported box, and tune it around 25-30hz.

And just making sure, this is a svc 4 ohm, so it will run at 4 ohms right? Because I think that's what most home sub amps run at.

EDIT: How would that sub run on 250-300rms? I see a guy posted a Dayton amp that does 250rms for $125

Do you know of any home sub amps that are cheaper than the Dayton SPA500 for $265 that I listed? I would be willing to go down to 300rms. I really plan to make a ported box, and tune it around 25-30hz.
And just making sure, this is a svc 4 ohm, so it will run at 4 ohms right? Because I think that's what most home sub amps run at.

EDIT: How would that sub run on 250-300rms? I see a guy posted a Dayton amp that does 250rms for $125
I would stay at the 500w level if you're seriously considering this driver, but yeah it's a 4ohm driver. Well suited for what you're trying to do. In fact, I would tune much lower than what you've suggested.

I would stay at the 500w level if you're seriously considering this driver, but yeah it's a 4ohm driver. Well suited for what you're trying to do. In fact, I would tune much lower than what you've suggested.
How would this compare to an IA Li12? How low would you go?

I'd suggest to look into Dayton Reference HF subwoofers. These are supposed to be very tight sounding. These seem more suited for a sealed box. This shouldn't be an issue. If you get an F3 of 40Hz, that's fine for music content as music rarely digs below that. Another interesting subwoofer is the new Dayton Ultimax 12.
If you want something on $200 budget, I guess you would have to look into Dayton's "Classic" subwoofer which is much cheaper. But my understanding is that Dayton Reference is much better, it's worth it.
YES. I was just about to post a link to them when I saw your post. Excellent woofers, I had one once that I unfortunately never got to run anything more than free air however I was incredibly pleased with the build quality.

Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 12" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm High Fidelity Reference Series 295-464

I got an old school stroker 12" that would work for home sub duty..or recone this idmax

BD808869-EB4B-4108-8DF8-73F3FE912DAD-95-00000006CC0779B5.jpg

@bubbagumper6; @zako;

Alright, I'm thinking the Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 looks pretty good. Only thing I wonder about is the RMS rating of 400 watts. Is this a conservative rating? Or should I really not give it over 400 watts?

[quote name='sjv13']@bubbagumper6; @zako;

Alright, I'm thinking the Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 looks pretty good. Only thing I wonder about is the RMS rating of 400 watts. Is this a conservative rating? Or should I really not give it over 400 watts?[/QUOTE]

Check the reviews, I believe those subs will take far more than that. However in a home theater setup you need FAR LESS power to achieve good output then you do in a vehicle, there's no road noise to overcome. You'd be surprised how loud something like that can get on 400w with the right enclosure.

Better than IA Li12 for $189 shipped?
In terms of SPL? Probably not. In terms of sound quality? I would wager so, yes...however I've literally never heard an IA product in person so I'm just speculating.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.