Need a little help with choosing the right sub

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello,

I have decided to ditch my current powered subwoofer (Blaupunkt GTb 8200 A) due to massive interference coming from the D class amplifier which renders my radio unusable, no amount of shielding the amp board has helped solve the issue, I even went as far as to enclose the entire internal amplifier in a copper box made from copper sheet. And my car probably has gained another second to the 0-60 time due to the weight of all the ferrite clamps I've put on the wiring. Sick of it.

I'm going to go full analog, old school A/B class amplifier this time, and a pure passive sub box, from a good brand. So far my choice for the amplifier is Alpine PMX-T320 which will give me 150W RMS when bridged at 4Ω. I've carefully selected this amp due to the fact that it's the only analog 2 channel unit made by Alpine with such power output, the rest has too many channels which can't be bridged effectively and they cost way too much as well.

Now the golden question is - which sub box to choose. I selected 2 candidates:

- Alpine SBG-1244BP - 250W RMS, 800W Peak

- Alpine SBG-1044BR - 150W RMS, 500W Peak

The price gap between them is really small, the first one is only slightly more expensive and I would like to ask people who know what they're doing if it's worth it or if it's even going to work

Cheers!

Thank you for replying.

I definitely want a quality sound, looking to fill the low end gap in the band of my current stock system, not really interested in banging till either my eardrums pop or my car shakes apart.

I've selected these mainly on the fact that I've had experience with this particular brand before, and also wanted a quality A/B class amplifier since I've had many problems with D class before. There are many less expensive and more powerful ones around, but I'd rather get quality gear. Also there isn't any other reasonable choice where I live.

Basically I went ahead and selected the most powerful 2 channel A/B class amplifier from Alpine that I could find, now trying to match a quality sub box with it and I'm unsure if this amp is going to power the bigger band pass one.

Also the shape of the 150W box will fit in my trunk perfectly, I don't want it to be too large actually. But if the bigger one would sound better, I would do a sacrifice in that matter I suppose.

Cheers!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.