Need a 400-500w RMS amp @ 4Ohm, advice needed.

zorphon
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
US
Title ^.

I have two Kenwood KFC-w112s subs. I'm powering them with a Sony Xplod 800w max 2-channel amp (340w x 1 RMS @4ohm).

I want an upgrade for an amp, because these subs can take a bit more power and this amp I currently have seems to be overheating really fast and really bad.

I just need something that puts out 400-500w RMS @4ohm, but I don't want to spend a significant amount of money.

Would this amp be an upgrade? Sound Storm (SSL) F2600D. I know it's VASTLY OVERRATED, but that being said will it be better than my crap Sony Xplod amp? How much do you think it would actually output RMS-wise at 4ohm?

Thanks in advance guys. I don't want to spend much money I just need something with a tiny bit more power (100 watts or so) and that doesn't get extremely hot instantly.

Looking forward to your reply.

*EDIT* Would this amp work, would it be an upgrade? Hifonics HFi1000D

I'd recommend PPI Phantom P600.2. It's a 2 channel amplifier that gives you 600watts RMS when bridged with 14.4V. Should your voltage drop below 14.4V, it will still provide more power than you need. Or even better, get the PPI P1000.1 mono block. I would not spend money to buy even more cheap and overrated garbage. Besides wattage rating, the cheaper amplifier can have other problem issues as well.

Thanks in advance guys. I don't want to spend much money I just need something with a tiny bit more power (100 watts or so) and that doesn't get extremely hot instantly.
If heat is your concern, get a modern Class D amplifier such as the PPIs are mentioned. (Your Sony appears to be a class a/b amplifier. A/B amplifiers waste more energy as heat). They are already a value leader IMO, with PPI P1000.1 sold for like $170-$180 on sale online. Go a little below that price and you have a good chance to end up with crappy hardware. Also, I am not sure what the extra 100 watts will do to you. That's ~1dBs of difference in SPL. If you want to feel an audible difference, I'd say double the power you have.

Regarding the Hifonics amplifier, it's probably better than what you have. However, personally I wouldn't buy any of currently produced Hifonics or MB Quart mono blocks.. It's a long story, but I feel they're inferior products if SQ bass is the goal.

i have an old school hifonics viii cyclops really clean 100 watt mono block that will serve your needs pretty well for $130 pm me if interested..zed made should be all you need for those subs,pm me if interested

i have an old school hifonics viii cyclops really clean 100 watt mono block that will serve your needs pretty well for $130 pm me if interested..zed made should be all you need for those subs,pm me if interested
100 watts? I need like 400-500?

100 watts? I need like 400-500?
Its a cheater amp..it will push a pair of 600 rms subs to submission,with authority...zed amps are well known for being severely under rated, ill garauntee it will bang the dog snott out of your subs..they may not even be able to handle this..100 watt amp:D..just a suggestion to you,for a well made amp/quite presentable/with plenty of power/collectable/and decent price/more than fair..have you ever seen a 44 watt amp bridged @2ohms half the size of a sheet of paper pushing a pair of 500 rms 15s??all day long? this is one of those amps..i had it pushing a pair of 1000rms 28lb 10s with authority @2ohms running approx 1oclock position,with no issues

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.