need a 3rd

Participant count
  • Participants list
I have the Sony ax5000. I like it. I love that it has 2 usb inputs so I can keep a usb or media player plugged in and plug in my phone whenever I get in and can switch back and forth without having to unplug one. It also has a remote (that I NEVER use). There’s no aux input if you need that. Sound quality seems good. I don’t know how it stacks up to the Alpine or Pioneer, but I think it’s pretty solid.

Not that the remote is bad. I just feel stupid holding a remote in a car when I can use the steering wheel or reach the HU. Maybe I’d use it if I was hanging out somewhere and could control my music from outside the car ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

sounds goofy, but a big selling point for me is that the pioneer comes with a remote.
I bought one of the new Alpine Halo head units for my Jeep a month or so ago and while it has great flexible mounting options and a fantastic display it cannot use a remote and I do sorely miss that feature.

I would also suggest taking a look at the Sony lineup. I've been having good luck with those for the past few years and they do have remotes and will deliver what they advertise. Kenwood/JVC is also a trusted brand for head units so you can rest assured you'll get what you pay for if you like the looks of any of their offerings.

Really I'd say if you figure out precisely which options are important to you, call up Crutchfield and talk to a salesman there. They really know what's on the market and can help suggest some stuff that should meet your needs and give you some feedback as to what's popular or not.

Not that the remote is bad. I just feel stupid holding a remote in a car when I can use the steering wheel or reach the HU. Maybe I’d use it if I was hanging out somewhere and could control my music from outside the car ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
The benefit of a remote is that once you know which button is what, you can change track/volume/source/etc. without having to look away from the road to find buttons or operate touch screen. I thought it was the gayest thing ever when they came out but today it is hard for me to do without one.

The benefit of a remote is that once you know which button is what, you can change track/volume/source/etc. without having to look away from the road to find buttons or operate touch screen. I thought it was the gayest thing ever when they came out but today it is hard for me to do without one.

my point exactly. I dont know but its something about having a remote to control the headunit, especially while driving, it makes changing the song/source so much easier. So as crazy as it sounds, its a big selling point for me

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.