MY Subs are constantly Rumbling

Natchez116

Everything was working great (except for my voltage problem) But when I added a 20 F. Cap, my subs started just 'rumbling' whenever my radio was on. (even if the volume was all the way down) I am running two MA Hardcore 12's, with MA 2000 watt amp. The Cap is a 20 Ferrad (sp?) Soundstream. My ground is fine.

Now when i take the cap off, and hook just my subs up again like they were (without the cap), they rumble still. ANy ideas........

thanks for the response. i will double check the gain, if i remember though, they rumbled when it was turned down, it was just a little softer. (PS bikemjunki, i drive an 02 civic si) Also when the RCA are unplugged the noise stops.

If you have some old RCA's you can make a shorting plug buy crmping or soldering the inner wire to the outer one, and then as you move them up the chain you can narrow down where the noise is introduced, start at the amp and keep moving back to the head. If you are at the amp, and there is no noise, then move to the crossover (if applicable) if noise appears, the issue is between the 2 components, or the component (crossover in this example) Got it? Using this method you can rule out noise induced in the rca's without pulling them out of where they are likely buried.

If you have some old RCA's you can make a shorting plug buy crmping or soldering the inner wire to the outer one, and then as you move them up the chain you can narrow down where the noise is introduced, start at the amp and keep moving back to the head. If you are at the amp, and there is no noise, then move to the crossover (if applicable) if noise appears, the issue is between the 2 components, or the component (crossover in this example) Got it? Using this method you can rule out noise induced in the rca's without pulling them out of where they are likely buried.

My RCA and power wire are running back on each side of the car. Also, the above idea sounds like a good one, but i guess I am not educated that well. I dont understand completly what to do exactly???? SORRY:(

Also any ideas why everything was going great for five months with my system, it was just today when i hooked the cap up that they started the rumbling. That is why i dont think it is a motor noise, but maybe i am wrong?

Ha, obviously I dont know")

Well, if i get any more ideas when i wake up in the morning....uh.....afternoon, i'm gunna try to get this figured out!@ Thanks for all the help!!!!!

Turn your key to accessory, and see if they are still rumbling. If not, turn your car on and rev the engine, and see if the noise changes along with the revving. If it does, you could try different RCAs and see if they do the same thing, maybe they went bad somehow. Or, the RCA connections on either your amp or HU are bad, that would also cause engine noise.

To make shorting plugs, you need a pair of rca cables you dont care about. cut the ends off leaving about 2 inches of cable, and separate the pair. When you strip the cable, you will find w ires, one goes to the outer ring of the jack, the other goes to the center nub. All you have to do is connect these, and the rca jack is now "shorted" Repeat with the other plug. Then you can make 2 more from the destroyed set to give to a friend, or keep around in case you lose yours, or mess one up during manufacture. Hope that helps.

Your power cable being too close to the RCAs definantly causes noise. The reason is simple. the Power wire sets off a frequency like all other electronics, if the RCAs are too close they will pick up the waves and boom you get noise.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.